Which tool(s) would you use for this?

Hello,

I'm rather a newbie to ceramics. I'm taking my third round of pottery lessons in 25 years, and I've become kind of obsessed with tiny clay houses. I'm attaching a photo of some.

My question is: Which tool(s) would you recommend using for carving the little windows and doors? I did make some last night in class, using a Kemper R2 and R1. It worked okay for the doors, but the windows weren't very rectangular.

Open to suggestions! And, thank you very much!

Three clay houses.JPG

depending on the size of the finished window, using tubular brass to punch out the holes works easily.

if you go to a hobby shop where people make models, there will be a rack of brass tubes, square and round.  get the right size and one just a little smaller.  cut the right size shorter than the smaller one so you can punch out the window and then push out the clay from the tube.

9 minutes ago, oldlady said:

depending on the size of the finished window, using tubular brass to punch out the holes works easily.

if you go to a hobby shop where people make models, there will be a rack of brass tubes, square and round.  get the right size and one just a little smaller.  cut the right size shorter than the smaller one so you can punch out the window and then push out the clay from the tube.

I think I know what you mean about the tubes. Could you please explain about "cut the right size shorter than the smaller one"? I'm not sure what that means. Thank you!

ladyinblack-

Square brass tubing can be found down to 1/16”. If you can’t get it locally, it’s available through EBay or Amazon.

oldlady meant that if you cut the next size smaller, say 3” long, then you would cut the larger tube at say 2 1/2”, so the smaller tube will pass through the larger without getting stuck inside the larger size tube.

Regards,

Fred

20 minutes ago, Fred Sweet said:

ladyinblack-

Square brass tubing can be found down to 1/16”. If you can’t get it locally, it’s available through EBay or Amazon.

oldlady meant that if you cut the next size smaller, say 3” long, then you would cut the larger tube at say 2 1/2”, so the smaller tube will pass through the larger without getting stuck inside the larger size tube.

Regards,

Fred

Aha, I see! Thank you, Fred (and oldlady).

5 minutes ago, GEP said:

These hole cutters will cut square or rectangular holes, one corner at a time. The smallest one is 2 cm.

I have this set. They take a little practice, but do work well.

https://chineseclayart.com/Store/ProductVariant?pf_id=8

I think that might be the solution! Thanks so much, GEP. :)

Archived