Patchy terra sigillata application

Hi clay friends, I’ve been experimenting with making terra sig and mixing with mason stains. I’m curious about why it won’t stick to certain areas on some test tiles? Is it because those spots may not be completely bone dry? They felt pretty uniformly dry so I’m not sure... thank you!

45E56C94-0708-4BF7-B091-163D76832CFB.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I'm not an expert on this one, but the few times I used sig it gave a light coating that needed to be built up a bit if you wanted opaque coverage. 

That’s true, I’m not an expert either (obviously), this is 3 or 4 coats. It’s quite opaque everywhere except those patches.

10 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

The smear on the left side looks like it's raised texture.  On the right could just be oils from your hands not letting it adhere fully

Could be but I’m not sure, I haven’t touched them very much and my hands are very dry (thanks clay!), not oily at all. Hmm...

Try laying the ter Sig on as opposed to painting it on..

Lh bare patches are on top of a ridge by the looks so you may be inadvertently brushing it off instead of laying it on.

Brush in different directions...

Dip?? Instead of brush.. spray ??

14 hours ago, EmsGoodPots said:

Could be but I’m not sure, I haven’t touched them very much and my hands are very dry (thanks clay!), not oily at all. Hmm...

No matter how dry you think your hands are, they contain and leave behind all sorts of things.  If they were totally dry, you'd be so dehydrated.............

8 hours ago, Babs said:

Try laying the ter Sig on as opposed to painting it on..

Lh bare patches are on top of a ridge by the looks so you may be inadvertently brushing it off instead of laying it on.

Brush in different directions...

Dip?? Instead of brush.. spray ??

I’ll try this, thanks!!

My experience is that if you don't wait for the terra sig to dry completely before applying another layer, you can pick up patches of the first layer. When that happens (because I'm impatient), I just let it dry and dab on some more terra sig on the bald patches. 

Archived