Sealing Fountain Basin

The basin for a ceramic fountain I made seeps water from the bottom. When I leave it on a towel, it's damp after a few days. I'm looking for recommendations for how to seal it properly, and for any specific products I could use. Would I have to fire it again? 

I know this might sound weird, but try mixing a teaspoon of bentonite with water and running it in your fountain for a few days.  It'll be cloudy at first but will probably seal any small craze lines in the glaze that might be letting water through.  It's used in ponds and such.  Another option without having to refire would be sodium silicate.  Same thing, mix a bit with water and run it through the fountain (or just let it sit in the basin) and it will seep into whatever voids are letting water through and plug them up. 

Else you're looking at epoxies which will cloud over with time since they're under water.

I only have news that to make it right you need a better clay and glaze fit-firing it again will not make that happen . What clay and what glaze and what temp did you fire it to?With that info someone here can guide you thru this to have a better outcome.

Archived