Who can offer one or two engobe recipe?

leopold

To me that upper band looks like the same as what's on the inside of the bowl and looks like a magnesium matte glaze like this one. To answer your question about engobes, Daniel Rhodes engobe recipes for leatherhard, bone dry or bisque for low, mid and high fire, part way down this book preview, from Glazes for the Self Reliant Potter by Daniel Rhodes.

10 hours ago, Min said:

To me that upper band looks like the same as what's on the inside of the bowl and looks like a magnesium matte glaze like this one. To answer your question about engobes, Daniel Rhodes engobe recipes for leatherhard, bone dry or bisque for low, mid and high fire, part way down this book preview, from Glazes for the Self Reliant Potter by Daniel Rhodes.

Thanks,Min.   Your suggest expanding my horizon. My other question is , can the magnesium glaze cover the salient dots from the body?

49 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Probably not, the reduction firing will draw the iron through the glaze until it hopefully reaches the surface 

So, the white part of the upper of the bowl may cover a layer of engobe, then overlayed the clear glaze above. 

To be honest the bowl just looks like it's been glazed, especially the way the edges of the white area have fluxed.  But either way, reduction fired iron bodies will ooze iron in dots like that.  I've had it come pretty far through a tin glaze and tin is one of, if not the strongest opacifier.  You'll have to try it out

14 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

To be honest the bowl just looks like it's been glazed, especially the way the edges of the white area have fluxed.  But either way, reduction fired iron bodies will ooze iron in dots like that.  I've had it come pretty far through a tin glaze and tin is one of, if not the strongest opacifier.  You'll have to try it out

This picture is from the inner of this bowl.

2.JPG

LEOPOLD,   you do not list a location in the world but i suspect that english is not your native language.  we might be able to help you more if you will tell us your definition of the word "engobe".

the bowl shown looks exactly like it was made of a dark clay, covered with a white glaze and fired in a kiln that burns something.  gas, wood or something that actually has flames.  there is no engobe necessary to make the spots you see.   they appear to be iron contained in the clay itself and which is brought to the surface by the reduction of oxygen during the firing process.  they are usually desirable to the potter and eagerly sought. 

12 minutes ago, oldlady said:

LEOPOLD,   you do not list a location in the world but i suspect that english is not your native language.  we might be able to help you more if you will tell us your definition of the word "engobe".

the bowl shown looks exactly like it was made of a dark clay, covered with a white glaze and fired in a kiln that burns something.  gas, wood or something that actually has flames.  there is no engobe necessary to make the spots you see.   they appear to be iron contained in the clay itself and which is brought to the surface by the reduction of oxygen during the firing process.  they are usually desirable to the potter and eagerly sought. 

Hi Oldlady, you're right. I'm from China, a freshman for ceramic. I bought this bowl from Japan and would like to make some tableware in the style. 

The word" engobe" was  searching from the internet, some Japanese potter applies to the  pottery and burned with the clay in 800'c. So the definition of this word is a white or color slip applied  to clay as coated.

thank you.   i admire anyone who can figure out any second language. 

your definition is almost correct.  in just general conversation, i think engobe is a slip that totally covers the clay so another decorating technique can be used.   when fired (not burned) the engobe is probably a flat surface without a shine since it is so similar to plain clay.   it is usually used to provide a different color from the original clay. 

that still does not mean that the bowl you show has any engobe on it.  so the question is, "what do you want to accomplish?"   once we know, someone will have a suggestion that will probably work.

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

thank you.   i admire anyone who can figure out any second language. 

your definition is almost correct.  in just general conversation, i think engobe is a slip that totally covers the clay so another decorating technique can be used.   when fired (not burned) the engobe is probably a flat surface without a shine since it is so similar to plain clay.   it is usually used to provide a different color from the original clay. 

that still does not mean that the bowl you show has any engobe on it.  so the question is, "what do you want to accomplish?"   once we know, someone will have a suggestion that will probably work.

Thanks for reminding me of what purpose I want to accomplish.  In short, my target is to know what's the way to have that effect. Of course, I now have many different answers and worth one shot.

For me, there're two barriers I need to fix up. 

The first one is clay. I don't have that kind of red clay, I would plan to add some sand with clay and mingle them together,  in just general conversation, I would add some iron oxide too from suggestions in order to have dots after firing.

The second is the glaze and the engobe. I would try them on both.

Or maybe there was iron chunks in the glaze itself.  This looks very similar to a glaze called Basic Ash from John Britts High Fire book.  Except that MY ash has rust particles from my firebox in it, so when I mix it, it gives a similar effect to above.   The tip-off (for me) was the inconsistent size of the iron spots, suggesting that the iron contamination is coming from the glaze itself...

Maybe.

Archived