Glazed brick

On January 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM, Rae Reich said:

When I visited St Louis, MO, I enjoyed the creative variations of bricklaying to be seen downtown. It seemed those bricklayers put some thought into the individuality available to them. Imagine what can be done with more variety of color and surface available. 

Back in the 1850's up to the 1920's;  St. Louis was flooded with highly skilled Italian brick, plaster, and mosaic masons. You go into some of those buildings and you will see some of the most intricate and ornate granite, marble, and limestone plinths, corbels, and hand carved limestone to be found. They settled in what is now called "The Hill.".. Best Italian food around :)

In 1983 they began restoration on the Old Cathredal ( next to the Arch) they bought in some old time mosaic setters from Italy. Got the pleasure to work with them a few days. 

T

20 minutes ago, glazenerd said:

Back in the 1850's up to the 1920's;  St. Louis was flooded with highly skilled Italian brick, plaster, and mosaic masons. You go into some of those buildings and you will see some of the most intricate and ornate granite, marble, and limestone plinths, corbels, and hand carved limestone to be found. They settled in what is now called "The Hill.".. Best Italian food around :)

In 1983 they began restoration on the Old Cathredal ( next to the Arch) they bought in some old time mosaic setters from Italy. Got the pleasure to work with them a few days. 

T

Please clarify. Have you seen there glazed brick?

3 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

Lol!

How big is your furnace that fires 50 bricks at once? (Fewer if sculpted for the Rae/Ishtar Gate :) )

I can make a stove on both 20 and 100 bricks. If this is not enough, I will make two ovens, three ovens or more :)

Prav, congratulations on succeeding in such a difficult area.  

i have seen glazed brick.   there is probably something on the internet about the building of the General Motors Technical Center in the state of Michigan, USA.   the designers wanted to use glazed brick to differentiate the kind of work done in each building.   the entire grouping was constructed in the late 1950s.   the research group could not find anyone to provide the brick so they decided to do it themselves.   the resulting "campus" was spectacular, brilliant colors and exciting architectural details.  certainly not as ornate as the beautiful masonry work done in many parts of the country but definitely glazed in vivid colors.

i saw the tech center in the early 1960s when i was hired to design dashboards for Chevrolet automobiles.   hired, that is, until the interviewer saw a diamond ring on my finger and asked if i were married.   i was engaged to be married and when i told him that, the man told me he was sorry but GM did not hire married women.   being a good little girl, i accepted this as normal.   it was the last time i did.

i do not have the skill to put a link to something that would show the tech center, maybe someone with computer skills can do so.

1 hour ago, oldlady said:

Prav, congratulations on succeeding in such a difficult area.  

i have seen glazed brick.   there is probably something on the internet about the building of the General Motors Technical Center in the state of Michigan, USA.   the designers wanted to use glazed brick to differentiate the kind of work done in each building.   the entire grouping was constructed in the late 1950s.   the research group could not find anyone to provide the brick so they decided to do it themselves.   the resulting "campus" was spectacular, brilliant colors and exciting architectural details.  certainly not as ornate as the beautiful masonry work done in many parts of the country but definitely glazed in vivid colors.

i saw the tech center in the early 1960s when i was hired to design dashboards for Chevrolet automobiles.   hired, that is, until the interviewer saw a diamond ring on my finger and asked if i were married.   i was engaged to be married and when i told him that, the man told me he was sorry but GM did not hire married women.   being a good little girl, i accepted this as normal.   it was the last time i did.

i do not have the skill to put a link to something that would show the tech center, maybe someone with computer skills can do so.

gm-tech-center.jpg

22 hours ago, oldlady said:

Google search will get you there, but the majority of pics are B&W, and Google images turns up copyrighted images. So I found this one on Pinterest-hope it's what you meant.  BUT BEFORE I COULD UPLOAD IT..........liambesaw beat me to it ! Did it anyway LOL

eero-saarinen-architecture-04.jpg

Archived