Glazed brick

Hello!
My name is Alexander. I live and work in Russia and I really want to communicate with ceramists.
I want to show you my products - I make glazed brick and glazed brick with decal. Please look at my work, it is very important for me to hear your opinion.
Are there ceramists who make similar bricks? If so, I will be very happy to communicate!

Thank you for having this forum where people communicate who are not indifferent to the craft of the ceramist.

kirpichev_3.jpg

kirpichev_2.jpg

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

That's a very cool and unique idea, haven't really seen glazed brick before.

Thank you - I agree with your every word!
My desire is for ceramists all over the world to learn how to make such a brick.

kirpichev_6.jpg

Please forgive me for my English.

12 hours ago, LeeU said:

How about a brief  overview on the basics of how such bricks are made?

Theoretically, the method of manufacture is quite simple. These are two firing. 1. Firing bricks with glaze - when the glaze is applied to the brick. 2. Hot decal firing - a method that allows you to put an image on porcelain, ceramics or glass. The picture is transferred to the glaze and firing.

5 hours ago, glazenerd said:

I could see large scale mural work being done with this method. Creative use.

No, we did not do it, did not have time. And I did not have this task. My task was to make this brick. The whole difficulty is to make this brick. Unfortunately, conventional ceramic kilns are not designed for this. Therefore, my friend and I had to develop my oven. It took three years to do this. Today I can make this brick. And most importantly - I can make a furnace for the production of this brick. To be honest, I want to make furnaces more than bricks))
But I had small orders while I was developing the stove.

------

Sorry for my English

Фото1049_1.jpg

kirpichev_4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

Why do you need a special kind of kiln/oven? Your colors are pretty and bright. What temperature do your glazes fire to? I assume that the decals are fired to 1800 deg F.

You're right, decal is burned at 1600 degrees Fahrenheit. But the matter is absolutely not about the temperature to which the stove can be heated. Brick is a separate topic in ceramics.
If ceramic tiles can be burned in a few hours, the brick is burned for several days. Why? The thickness of the material! Therefore, for the firing of bricks in small quantities, a special furnace is needed.
No, of course, you can burn a brick in a conventional furnace, but how many pieces? I think you can do 1-5 pieces, not more. But if you need more to lay out a wall or fireplace? And if you make ten fireplaces? Can your oven do this? And if it can, then for what time?

1.jpg

1 minute ago, Rae Reich said:

Oh, I didn't know you were making the bricks, too! They do look different from the bricks I've seen here, very handsome. 

So you do 3 firings? Brick, Glaze, Decal?

No, I do not make a brick, I do two roasting. But what's the difference? The thickness of the material does not change)

6 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

I guess the difference is that you don't have to deal with drying the bricks before/during  firing.

Yes you are right. But this is not the main thing.

7 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

You get very nice consistent results with your kiln. 

Yes, these results are obtained precisely because of the design of the furnace. Each brick should be heated to the same temperature and have no differences from the rest. A regular oven will not allow you to do this - all bricks will be different. And again I repeat - the quantity, do not forget about the quantity)
The furnace, which is now working for me, can hold 50 bricks.

E7056_blik_1200.jpg

22 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Just to clarify, you have one firing for the brick and glaze? 

Only one glaze firing - the brick I buy is already burnt.

22 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Then another firing for the decals?

Decal is a ceramic paint that is baked into the glaze layer.

24 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

How big are the rectangular bricks?

250*120*65 mm

25 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Are you making your own ceramic decals?

No, I order from professionals, but you can do them yourself - for this you need to buy a special printer that can print with ceramic inks.

27 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

What material is the brick made of? 

ceramics

29 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

Many questions, my apologies.

When a person asks questions - this is good. Bad when a person does not know and does not ask questions. So do not hesitate to ask questions.

6 hours ago, LeeU said:

Curious---would you be more specific about what the bricks are made of--ceramics, obviously, but what type of clay(s) or admixture is the ceramic material? 

Do you want to try to make a brick yourself? Or do you want to buy a brick that is suitable for glazing?
In the first case, the ideal solution would be faience, white clay without impurities.
In the second case, hollow clinker is needed.

6 hours ago, LeeU said:

Those blue and white decal images are gorgeous! 

This is Russian Gzhel

5 hours ago, Babs said:

So why bricks and not tiles?

Glazed brick does not require exterior finish and never fall off like tile.
In general, you would need to ask this question 2500 years ago to the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar when he built the Ishtar gate :-)

Фото094011.jpg

In addition to the glaze transfers (there's something so appealing about those blue/white designs) you have some beautiful textural and architectural glazes!

These bricks make a beautiful, durable surface for exterior walls with one pass of the contractor.

When I visited St Louis, MO, I enjoyed the creative variations of bricklaying to be seen downtown. It seemed those bricklayers put some thought into the individuality available to them. Imagine what can be done with more variety of color and surface available. 

37 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

In addition to the glaze transfers (there's something so appealing about those blue/white designs) you have some beautiful textural and architectural glazes!

These bricks make a beautiful, durable surface for exterior walls with one pass of the contractor.

When I visited St Louis, MO, I enjoyed the creative variations of bricklaying to be seen downtown. It seemed those bricklayers put some thought into the individuality available to them. Imagine what can be done with more variety of color and surface available. 

Thank you! You understood my idea perfectly!
Here you can see some architectural solutions.
But mostly they concern large manufacturers of glazed bricks.

My brick production was invented for the construction of fireplaces and heating furnaces, decoration of internal walls and partitions, window or doorway, corners of the house, fence.  And note, in the pictures from the Internet there is not a single brick with a picture! There is not one!
I completely forgot, there is still a third option - this is hand-painted on a brick, including painting in gold or platinum. I believe that making this brick can work well.

9.jpg

78157a48bdf64df9280c615eee917358.jpg

149bec63b95fc38df027faf75ac09003.jpg

55beebd8906a76fdbf76e2bb2a990bc8.jpg

4d42e190021b8ddec1dde6f7a8577805.jpg

0e9238a8c29a86ecfec90b0e51b00dff.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

I like the bullnose brick that make the rounded edges. 

I also considered the option of 3D cutting on brick. And modeling from clay on a brick.
It seems to me that the one who will work on my equipment will be able to show imagination in all its glory.

6 minutes ago, Rae Reich said:

Truthfully, I always wanted my own Ishtar Gate since I first saw it <3

No problem, I will make a furnace for you) And you will make the gate Ishtar) Dreams come true!

Archived