What kind of mask do you wear?

I really don't like my mask, its very uncomfortable and I don't feel like it really seals well around the edges (and then I tighten it way more, making it far less comfortable). Its possible I just have the wrong size, but its hard to imagine it actually being comfortable even if it were a bit smaller. I definitely work less safely because of how badly I don't want to wear my current mask.

If you like your mask,  what kind do you use?

On 11/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, liambesaw said:

I like this one, it's comfortable. 

3M(TM) Half Facepiece Respirator Assembly 6291/07002(AAD), Medium, with 3M(TM) Particulate Filters 2091/07000(AAD), P100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zfl7BbEAEBRH4

Liambesaw, as a fellow beardo weirdo, how do you find the seal of that mask around the whiskers?

dw

13 minutes ago, Dick White said:

Liambesaw, as a fellow beardo weirdo, how do you find the seal of that mask around the whiskers?

dw

It seems pretty good.  I ratchet the thing on pretty well but I never notice air leaking through the beard area, only hear the measured click and hiss of air passing through the filter disks

Technically, by OSHA standards, a half-facemask like that is not approved for use by folks with beards unless the beard is trimmed short enough that it does not interfere with the seal of the mask against the face:

The Respiratory Protection standard, paragraph 29 CFR 1910.134(g)(1)(i)(A), states that respirators shall not be worn when facial hair comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function. Facial hair is allowed as long as it does not protrude under the respirator seal, or extend far enough to interfere with the device's valve function. Short mustaches, sideburns, and small goatees that are neatly trimmed so that no hair compromises the seal of the respirator usually do not present a hazard and, therefore, do not violate paragraph 1910.134(g)(1)(i).

That means a really short beard, like George Michael. That said, most people with beards use them anyway. It's not ideal, but it's definitely better than not using a mask. The best type of mask for folks with longer beards are the full-face powered type.

If you can, try on some different brands. Places that sell automotive detailing equipment will have different kinds (do they have Princess Auto south of the border?), and the different brands will have different fits and coverage. I favour one from Sundstrom, but the cartridges are kind of expensive and hard to find in Canada. They’re apparently easier to get in the US and Europe. 

Also, I’ve found that if someone recommends a mask that is comfortable to them, unless you have a similar facial structure to that person, you might not have the same experience.

31 minutes ago, Dick White said:

I have the double whammy of beard and spectacles (and sometimes I do make a spectacle of myself). The specs don't fit well on the nose area of the mask, and then I can't see or breathe...

Have you ever thought about mixing glazes in the vacuum of space? It sounds like it may be friendlier than the mask options.

No beard here, but small face/head and spectacles.  I bought this one, and really happy with it.  I was lucky to find a retailer that was willing to get a small size in, and let me try it.  (I think it's this one, had mine for 18 months, so model might have changed.)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/3MTM-Reusable-Medium-safety-certified/dp/B005HK05L2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_6

I prefer the 7502 mask from 3M, it may be a good choice for your as well.  It looks a little similar to the 6921 (the one linked above, sounds like what you have) but the facepiece is a much softer silicone, instead of stiff rubber.  At first I thought it fits a little smaller, but for me its more like it just fits a little higher on my face, which still makes it more comfortable as it doesn't tend to pull down on my nose so much.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18 hours ago, Apocalypticamerica said:

I prefer the 7502 mask from 3M, it may be a good choice for your as well.  It looks a little similar to the 6921 (the one linked above, sounds like what you have) but the facepiece is a much softer silicone, instead of stiff rubber.  At first I thought it fits a little smaller, but for me its more like it just fits a little higher on my face, which still makes it more comfortable as it doesn't tend to pull down on my nose so much.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the 7500 mask too.  I purchased mine from Envirosafety with p100 filters.   This mask is available in small, medium and large so you can get the right fit.  You can buy it with the filters (sold as a set for asbestos abatement)  https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-7500-series-half-facepiece-asbestos-abatement-respirator-assembly.html .  Optionally, you can buy the mask and specific filters individually.  There are a few different styles of p100 filters available.  I've always bought the version that comes with this asbestos set because they offer lower breathing resistance than other styles.

There have been many posts on here about respirators, so search those too before making a decision.

Archived