first craft fair WWYD?

12 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Home Depot sells them. Or at least they did a few years ago, 7 bucks a pop, I use them for everything at home.

@merryrogue how was the show?

they haven't happened yet! I fortunately  (or unfortunately) got into ALL of the shows I applied for, so I now have a fair almost everyday the second week of December!

thankfully one is a school fundraiser that requires manning the booth a shift to get your share of the money, or on they're on the weekends. otherwise I'd never get to class that week!

Please don't misread my post. I am not trying to discourage you or curb your enthusiasm. The only reason I am bringing it up is that you mentioned that you were doing this to try and get beyond just earning booth fees and a LOT of small x-mas shows, particularly civic or school based, will be very low turnout and slow events. I've seen vendors all just sitting in large rooms with a few folks milling around after the first few hours on the first day. I think the problem is that the job of getting the word out is all volunteer AND a huge reluctance to turn lose of any of the vendor table fees. They eye those fees as the net gain to the organization's fundraising effort and often allow lots of non handmade vendors slip in to increase that take. What often happens is that a few homemade signs get dotted on the closest main road and a donated ad or article in the local community newspaper, nothing paid and nothing far reaching. Turns out a few folks and the organizers, friends and family of the vendors and organization may make the first day or at least first few hours busy but then it drops off, a lot. This time of year there is a huge competition to get the attention of shoppers and they are all busy trying to buy the couple of dozen gifts they have to buy this year so these volunteer efforts just don't do much to move the needle.

I would try and use any time you can spare this season to go to as many shows in your area as you can find so if this years lineup misses the mark, next year you will know of some more to sign up for.

Good luck and don't get discouraged if you still just make booth fee at some or all of these. There are shows out there, lots of them, that you can consistently sell $1000-$2000 of pottery over the weekend and several potters here talk of 8-$12,000 shows.  

I think it depends on the area. Most of the small local shows I've done were for just one or two afternoons and most had pretty good turnout from their organizations. They sent mailers and email announcements and some of the sellers did too.

Most competition for dollars, always from jewelry franchisees. :P 

If your work is unusual or well-made or well-priced you will have sales. Don't lower prices if sales are slow, consider raising them next time, you probably don't value your work enough.

Hand out business cards. Start a mail/email list. 

Archived