• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 annbclay

annbclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

Is it possible to make a plaster hump mold of a straight sided, deep Tuperware type container? I've tried it once, using Murphy's oil soap as a release agent but I can't get the plaster hump out without cutting off the plastic bowl. Any tips?
Ann B

#2 Linnet

Linnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFar North Coast NSW Australia

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

I use something called 'soft soap', not really a soap, but must be similar to what you already use. I've heard of some using the can spray cooking oil but I have never tried it. Good luck
Ceramics is HOT!

#3 timj219

timj219

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

Is it possible to make a plaster hump mold of a straight sided, deep Tuperware type container? I've tried it once, using Murphy's oil soap as a release agent but I can't get the plaster hump out without cutting off the plastic bowl. Any tips?
Ann B

No art without sacrifice. The tupperware will go to its reward knowing it gave its life in a good cause.
Petroleum jelly might do the trick.
"All this of Pot and Potter--Tell me then,
Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

#4 Zygote

Zygote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Strait sides = friction and drag.
You can try "Burping" the mold. This is where you use compressed air to pop the seal between mold and master.
Other wise, cut the bowl.

#5 Carl

Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

If there are no undercuts, petroleum jelly should work... at least it seemed to work well for making bronze casting molds from plaster. Normally one uses something with a slight inward slant to make releasing a bit easier.

#6 Linnet

Linnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Maybe wrap tightly kitchen cling wrap without creasing over the surface of the tupperware, just a thought.
Ceramics is HOT!

#7 Brenda

Brenda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationShreveport, LA

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ann B

I use baby oil. It hasn't failed me yet.
Brenda

#8 Linnet

Linnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

This actually sounds more like a slab construction method to me.
Ceramics is HOT!

#9 annbclay

annbclay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

thanks guys, I'll try again. This one will have to sacrifice it's tupperware though. As you said, the price of art!

#10 Cindy in SD

Cindy in SD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Just a thought, but I like to use bisque molds. That is, if you're hand building--if you're pouring, then never mind . . . . I just throw a piece the size and shape I want, then trim the outside to be nice and smooth. That way I can coil/puzzle/pound my clay over the outside or make a smaller piece on the inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users