Molding A Straight Sided Bowl

Is it possible to make a plaster hump mold of a straight sided, deep Tuperware type container? I've tried it once, using Murphy's oil soap as a release agent but I can't get the plaster hump out without cutting off the plastic bowl. Any tips?

Ann B

No art without sacrifice. The tupperware will go to its reward knowing it gave its life in a good cause.

Petroleum jelly might do the trick.

If there are no undercuts, petroleum jelly should work... at least it seemed to work well for making bronze casting molds from plaster. Normally one uses something with a slight inward slant to make releasing a bit easier.

Is it possible to make a plaster hump mold of a straight sided, deep Tuperware type container? I've tried it once, using Murphy's oil soap as a release agent but I can't get the plaster hump out without cutting off the plastic bowl. Any tips?

Ann B

I use baby oil. It hasn't failed me yet.

Brenda

Just a thought, but I like to use bisque molds. That is, if you're hand building--if you're pouring, then never mind . . . . I just throw a piece the size and shape I want, then trim the outside to be nice and smooth. That way I can coil/puzzle/pound my clay over the outside or make a smaller piece on the inside.

Archived