How to do Acrylic paint style pouring in ^6 glaze

docweathers

There were some videos out of I think the Ukraine a year or two ago that did something similar with deflocculated slips being added in layers over top of each other using slip trailing bulbs or ear syringes. You wouldn't get the colours or the metallics that you see in this style of painting, but the line quality with the strainer could be possible. 

Doc do you want to get the marbling effect! Like Callie pointed out i watched the slip videos from Greek and some exUSSR countries. I think Robin Hopper shows a different one.   I’ve only tried liquid on liquid with slip where I’ve gotten nice sharp lines.  With clear glaze on top. 

At my previous JC I remember the prof. Constantly reminding us glazes don’t work the way acrylics do.  You can’t mix white and red and get pink.  

I a.m. taking a guess that with the right consistency glaze trailing is possible. I use a hair dye bottle to trail with.   I let the poring consistency air dry to slightly thicker.

Wonder if you could also use sodium silicate or darvan to thicken glaze

Callie

Thanks for reminding me that those Ukraine slip drilling videos were with D flocculation slip.

Preeta

I do glaze trailing all the time but is quite tricky since if the underlying glaze is that all liquid, your pattern may travel during firing.

--

I'm experimenting with a variety of additive's such as Sodium silicate, Epsom salts, CMC, glycerin, flotrol and bumblebee farts.  It seems very difficult to get the right consistency to both flow but not mix.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything that works reliably. 

50 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

There is a guy in The pac Northwest  that does this on all his work.

Sort of hike the kids spinning art plates at fairs.A little goes a long ways.

Are you referring to using the acrylic media or something else.  If something else, do you know who he is or how he does this.

• 2 weeks later...

Doc:

got them to remain separated. Yes, the blue has 6%, the red 8%, and the yellow 10% NS. Ended up thinning the yellow back down- tad too thick. I had them all mixed and ready to go, and poured quickly. Viscosity is the key. Need to let it flow on its own to prevent blending.

Yes, get a strainer!! 

Archived