How to cut a kiln shelf in half?

GreyBird

If it's black/gray, which I think the one in your picture is- hard to tell for sure from the photo- then it's silicon carbide, and you can't cut it easily. Maybe with a wet diamond saw, but you'll eat up a lot of the blade. If it's yellow/cream then it's cordierite, and those can be cut with a masonry disc on a circular saw, piece of cake. Look at the side of the shelf and it'll be easier to tell. There's something all over the top of the shelf in the picture- glaze?

• 3 months later...

It looks to be too tight grained to be a traditional Silicon Carbide shelf (the old 1" thick clunkers). Looks more like one of the modern "thin" silicon carbide shelves. Two things regarding cutting them; yes it can be done with a wet saw, however because these modern shelves (Especially the advancers) are like a piece of glass, vibration can crack them easily. So just whipping out the angle grinder with a hose and diamond blade will likely end up with bad results. Like said above, a high quality masonry/brick saw with a CONTINUOUS diamond edged blade would work. Second thing about these shelves. If you get them wet to cut them, its going to take a LONG time to dry them out before you can safely fire without blowing the shelves up. Google for drying advancer kilns shelves and follow directions.

The yellowish haze could be the glass layer which develops on the surfaces of silicon carbide shelves. My advancers have a "TINGE" of this color, but no where near as heavy or as splotchy as your photo.

• 5 months later...

Water is only needed if you use a wet blade.  When cutting tile with an angle grinder I use a dry or a wet/dry blade.  I would agree with taping with using painters tape and then drawing your cut line on the tape.  It's hard to describe the technique, but to avoid chipping, I like to score the top of the tile once over (not cutting all the way through), cut through the tile from the side you aren't keeping, and then grind away the excess until you have a smooth edge on the good piece.  It takes some practice but it is possible to cut with an angle grinder in a way that any chips that form from the through-cut are on the bottom side of the tile.

Good luck!

Archived