Testing glazes and firing schedules--I'm overwhelmed!

18 hours ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

Last but not least, glazes don't travel well, so don't be upset if you followed the same exact schedule, recipe etc and get a completely different result.

Too true! Same glaze, but - different kiln, altitude, barometric pressure, material sources, application, firing schedule, bumblebee farts - YMMV!!!

1 hour ago, Rae Reich said:

bumblebee farts 

:wub:

---

Don't be afraid to test new schedules, just don't do it at the same time your testing new glazes, otherwise your not getting the complete picture. Always fire a new glaze in your main reliable schedule first!

A bit of advice for testing new schedules if you want to eventually try it. When you are making test tiles make a bunch and when you glaze tiles, glaze 3-4 of the same tile in the same glaze the same way. Then when you get ready to test a new schedule you will have glazed unfired tiles ready, after words you can put those tiles beside the other tile from your main firing and see how they vary. Doing this will save you a lot of hassle as you will always have the tiles ready from your main glazes when you come to test new firing schedules.

When I was doing a lot of schedule testing I would make 300-400 tiles at a time, and then when I would mix a new batch of test glazes. I would dip the same glaze 5 tiles and line them up on my shelve beside the original tile that I fired in my current main schedule at that time. After I would test a new schedule I would label the tile, whatever it was + the schedule number, which I kept track of in Insight-live.  

After I had fired enough tiles and glazes I could look down a row of glazes that were all in that same schedule and figure out which schedule I liked best for the glazes I wanted to work with. This helped a lot to determine if a schedule was really worth using as you can see what goes bad and what goes good.

The funniest part is I currently use one glaze now. :ph34r:

On 8/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, oldlady said:

pres, photo, please.  

when i transferred to manhattan in 1985, i walked all over discovering the city.  a gallery on madison ave had a whole window full of breasts on various pieces of sinks, furniture and stuff made by a woman potter who lived only about 10 miles from my home in virginia.  cannot remember her name today, anyone know?   can still see herpink victorian house  when i go through Hillsboro occasionally.

Alas oldlady, I have not made one of these in over 30 years! I could whip one out just to show you.

best,

Pres

Archived