Removing bisqueware from elecric kiln

susu

I don't think you need a controlled cooling for a bisque but I have been told that opening the kiln is best at 200 degrees or under. Opening a hotter kiln is going to cause cracking and I think that applies to bisque ware or glaze ware. But I am not expert, only saying what I have been taught.

I'm firing an electric kiln at ^6 and want to know how soon I can open the kiln and have the pieces be safe? We ramp up slowly, but does it matter how fast it cools down at this stage?

I'm firing an electric kiln at ^6 and want to know how soon I can open the kiln and have the pieces be safe? We ramp up slowly, but does it matter how fast it cools down at this stage?

Bisque fireing to ^6? What is the reason for that may I ask? Or do you mean ^06? Just curios, as to why you are bisque firing so high.

Can I put pieces for bisque in a glaze firing, if I have room around my large pieces anyways?

Cone 06 is not my area of work for glaze firing

You will run the risk of blowing up greenware onto glaze ware for starters .

You can run glaze fires in less time than bisque fires so if you add greenware you will have to slow the fire down which will cost you more in electricity

And if I recall from my glazing ^o6 days in the early 70s some glazes will not like the off gassing of greenware during a glaze fire and may affect the final glaze look and color

I'm sure some low fire folks will chime in on this

and give you better facts

Mark

Why are you in such a hurry to remove the ware? The best and safest temperature to remove ware in a bisque or a glaze fire is at room temperature. There is then no speculation about when or how. Go do something else while it cools down. Then it will be perfect no question about it.

Also check the temperature to which you are bisque firing. I hope that was a typo about the cone 6 temperature. If you must, ask your clay supplier about the proper bisque and glaze temperatures of your clay.

Can I put pieces for bisque in a glaze firing, if I have room around my large pieces anyways?

If your bisque temperature is lower than your glaze temperature, your bisque pieces will fire hard making them difficult to glaze.

The gases coming off of the firing greenware can affect your glazes making the colors muddy, and if you are using glazes containing copper or cobalt you may encounter the glazes 'spitting' onto the firing green ware.

And you may get bits of clay popping off the firing greenware on to your glaze ware. Those are some of the mishaps that can occur.

But there are a few better possibilities if you are using low fire clay and low fire glaze then there wouldn’t be a temperature issue.

You can always decorate the green ware and make it a once firing placing them on a different shelf, fire slowly as you would for a bisque fire but to the maturation point of the glaze.

Bisque fireing to ^6? What is the reason for that may I ask? Or do you mean ^06? Just curios, as to why you are bisque firing so high.

You're right. I meant ^06!

If your bisque temperature is lower than your glaze temperature, your bisque pieces will fire hard making them difficult to glaze.

The gases coming off of the firing greenware can affect your glazes making the colors muddy, and if you are using glazes containing copper or cobalt you may encounter the glazes 'spitting' onto the firing green ware.

And you may get bits of clay popping off the firing greenware on to your glaze ware. Those are some of the mishaps that can occur.

But there are a few better possibilities if you are using low fire clay and low fire glaze then there wouldn’t be a temperature issue.

You can always decorate the green ware and make it a once firing placing them on a different shelf, fire slowly as you would for a bisque fire but to the maturation point of the glaze.

Sorry everyone, I had to edit this post to make it clearer. I re-read it and had to say "wha???" So, if this is not clearer please somebody let me know.

• 1 month later...

In My high school classes, I bisque and glaze in the same kiln. I am using Duncan commercial glazes that mature at cone06.

I try to put the bisque on the bottom shelves as this area tends to be a bit cooler for glazes. I also want to separate them in case of blow ups. The only glaze I have found affected by off gassing from bisque are the commercial reds-tend to go brown.

I wait until the next day to unload when it is cool enough.

TJR.

Archived