How hot does this kiln get?

I can see the pictures.  Looks solidly built.  1600 Kw kiln could get you to 1300 C in principle, depending on sufficient power supply and the condition of the elements, which are not visible.

Whoops sorry Joel you are right.  1300 going to be very hard (impossible?) with this kiln.

I was thinking about my own experience with a 240 volt (not 110 volt) 15 amp kiln when I said that.  Which had no problem to get to 1300 C with newish elements (struggled when elements got older though).

I have a 240v 10 amp test kiln (about 1 cubic foot) that also has no problem to get to 1300, although the (small gauge)  elements clearly do not like this treatment, 

I think one way to find out is to fire it up and see what color it gets to or use a pyrometer to determine the temp. I would question how you would control the firing since the pix do not show any kind of controls...no dials or switches, etc., just the power cord and ungrounded plug. Is there a ceramics/kiln repair facility nearby where you might take it to have it tested or have a tec come to you to do the testing? Finally, why did you buy it not knowing anything about the unit? I hope you got it for a really, really great price!

JohnnyK

6 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I think one way to find out is to fire it up and see what color it gets to or use a pyrometer to determine the temp. I would question how you would control the firing since the pix do not show any kind of controls...no dials or switches, etc., just the power cord and ungrounded plug. Is there a ceramics/kiln repair facility nearby where you might take it to have it tested or have a tec come to you to do the testing? Finally, why did you buy it not knowing anything about the unit? I hope you got it for a really, really great price!

JohnnyK

There isn’t any controls on it. I bought it for $75, a girls grandmother had passed so she was selling it. It also came with some shelves and plaster molds. And I guess I’ll be trying to fire it up and see what happens!

Archived