Clays And Glaze Help!

Baby_potter

Hi, I've only been potting for about 10 months, I use the local community studio to pot. There we have a electric kiln that is usually fired at cone 6. So very silly of me I bought two pink glazes but they are cone 3-4.

Anyways my question is, if I set the kiln to a cone 4 fire, but use mid temperature m370 clay, will my product turn out alright? At my studio we are not aloud to use low temperature clay.

You have chosen the right place here.

I am afraid the bad of this is that your M370 clay is a 5-7 clay body. In the description, they call it semi vitreous at cone 6. This would mean that the glazes you apply, even though vitrified at cone 4, the body of the clay will not be vitrified.

Personally, I would see if you could return the glaze, for a replacement. 

Others may have a better work around, but that is my best advice.

best,

Pres

Any chance you misread the glaze bottles,  are they for cone 03 - 04? and not 3-4? If that's the case then firing to cone 4 could land you with a lot of kiln shelves to grind as the glaze would likley be super fluid by being overfired. I think you probably bought low fire glazes for a midfire clay. 

http://www.theceramicshop.com/downloads/Ortonconecharttemperatures.pdf

Any chance you misread the glaze bottles, are they for cone 03 - 04? and not 3-4? If that's the case then firing to cone 4 could land you with a lot of kiln shelves to grind as the glaze would likley be super fluid by being overfired. I think you probably bought low fire glazes for a midfire clay.

http://www.theceramicshop.com/downloads/Ortonconecharttemperatures.pdf

Oops your right, they say 03-04 I thought it meant the same though, I'm super new to potting and this was my first time buying my own glaze as the studio im at provides a selection of glaze to use. And yes I did buy low fire glaze for mid temperature clay. Sadly I have already opened the bottles and used them to glaze a few pieces. The glaze itself actually held up really good, just colours were very wrong.

Archived