Less Fragile Clay Or Porcelain? Cone 6

Kneth

I'm looking for a tougher clay body for jewelry, basically less brittle and breakable, for cone 6 firing. I've tried B Mix and Frost Porcelain, but both are quite fragile in my designs. I'd love to make earrings from them, so they can't be much thicker, thus heavier.

Are there additives that would help? I'm extruding these designs, so long fibrous material might not work. I'm into experimenting, however, so please offer any ideas.

I had looked into a tougher white body clay,  my clay retailer suggested Laguna WC 402 Half and Half.  It was half B-Mix and some other white body clay,  I was working on a large mural and decided it still wouldn't be strong enough.  It might work for the small items you are working with.   Denice

When I was using frost I thought it was pretty ridiculous tough after fired.

I never tested it, but the unglazed fired body had a glossiness to it and I dropped a few of the pots and they didn't shatter into a million pieces. They weren't chunky pieces either. Frost by far seemed to be the strongest porcelain at 6 I have worked with, but again I haven't actually tested it scientifically, just hitting bad pots with hammers before they go in the trash can. 

How thin are you making? Can we see some pictures of what your trying to do. I don't really have any recommendations but I know others here will chime in with more details once we understand what exactly your doing better.

Either clay body seems to break like glass after firing.  The earwire is stainless, and I often break the connection point even if I try to shield it from any torque. The closed spirals would ride on a chain, but I fear they would break if the hit a desktop or something.

post-74229-0-16972800-1502151560_thumb.jpg

post-74229-0-96969700-1502151572_thumb.jpg

One reads about high-tech super tough ceramics, but maybe those are all press formed and sintered. I'm just up the mountain from Coors, that might be an interesting tour. They probably don't tour the ceramics side tho.

Archived