RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yup, first batch mix Min

Good info Joesph, I'm going to have to read it a few times to absorb it all. Thanks.

Ron

#82 Joseph F

Joseph F

Always Experimenting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

I'm going to have to read it a few times to absorb it all. Thanks.

I might have made it more complicated then it seems.

For each glaze test. Make 2-3 tiles. Then as your mixing the glaze, get it to a thick consistency, but not as thick as a brushing glaze. Then dip a tile. Then water it down a bit and mix it, dip another tile. Repeat until its chocolate milk consistency. Fire all the tiles and compare!

Then if you like any of those you know the consistency to shoot for the next test, which should be on a larger piece so you can see if you really like the glaze when its covering more of an actual pot. Once you figure out the thickness you like and you want to use the glaze, mix up a new small bucket to the consistency right before what you think you want. Measure SG and dip a tile/pot and fire. Compare to what you want, if too thick water down, repeat process until you know the exact SG. Then you have everything you need about that glaze in the future. 

It is a few extra firings, but I wouldn't ever recommend going from a tile to a production batch without testing the glaze a few more times. This will lead to a lot of frustration.

Congrats on mixing your first glazes. Welcome to the club of cheap glazes. It is astounding how expensive commercial glazes are once you go to mixing your own.

#83 RonSa

RonSa

Still learning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pa

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

Thanks again Joseph, and yes, I've noticed the price difference.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users