Marking Up And Using Holes As Decoration

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum, I work only with bone china and whilst I have done a fair amount of reticulation ( cutting shapes out to create patterns) I am never 100% happy with the results, I am working on slip cast shapes which I like to be fine and I would like to ask if you have any tips to give.Main point I have trouble with is how to mark up for accurate designs on curvey shapes also what have you found to be the best type of blade/knife to use. Thank you I look forward to hearing from you

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find answers and friendships here. And share your experiences, good and bad with clay. No one is perfect, but we are all perfectly will to keep trying and learning. 

As to your question; I do not have enough experience working with porcelain. So I'm out.

But be patient, I know you will get some help, soon. 

Also, check out CAD video archives. There is a whole lot of good help there as well.

Best wishes and tons of success. 

Hi and welcome juliad,

Since you are into slip casting, are you making your own molds? If so, are you doing the same carving on multiple pieces? If so, you might try laying out an accurate pattern and carving your pattern lines with a sgraffito tool. Then you can make a mold of the carved piece. When you cast your new pieces, the carving lines will already be layed in, providing you with the guide you need to finish the carving. Good luck!

JohnnyK

Hi and welcome juliad,

Since you are into slip casting, are you making your own molds? If so, are you doing the same carving on multiple pieces? If so, you might try laying out an accurate pattern and carving your pattern lines with a sgraffito tool. Then you can make a mold of the carved piece. When you cast your new pieces, the carving lines will already be layed in, providing you with the guide you need to finish the carving. Good luck!

JohnnyK

Thanks Johnny for your comments, yes I do make my own moulds so this is a possibility but I prefer to do one offs I will try and post a picture of what I have so far.

You can easily use an inkjet print to transfer an image to a cylinder. Just wrap the paper around the tube with the image facing inward then dampen the paper just enough for the ink to transfer. The ink will burn off when fired.

You can easily use an inkjet print to transfer an image to a cylinder. Just wrap the paper around the tube with the image facing inward then dampen the paper just enough for the ink to transfer. The ink will burn off when fired.

Thank you Ron that sounds like a great idea I will try this out

Archived