How To Paint On A Vase

Potter3ee

So I recently bought a kiln and don't know a lot about how glazes work - will figure it out as I go along. Just had a question. How is the effect in the attached teapot achieved? Can I dip bisqueware in white and then paint on top of it with underglaze and then fire? How else would I be able to achieve a white base with painted pattern on top? Appreciate any advice.

post-80623-0-95777300-1485429387_thumb.jpg

post-80623-0-95777300-1485429387_thumb.jpg

Given the sharpness of (most) of this design it looks as if it may be done after the glaze firing (on glaze decoration). It looks like a white porcelain clay to me, with a transparent glaze. It would then have a 3rd lower temperature firing. However, it could possibly be as you describe, painted on white-dipped bisqued ware. Someone more knowledgable than me will probably chip in here with their suggestions.

You cannot use underglaze over a glaze... Well you can, the results just aren't good...

If I were trying to replicate that, I would do a white underglaze base and add the top colors, also with underglaze, either pre-bisque, or post if I was concerned about the fragility of the pot itself.  I would use the underglazes very much like watercolor, to get the thin wash effects.  Then I'd clear glaze over the top.

Alternately, like Celia mentioned, it could be some type of overglaze or enamel, that was put on top of a white glaze for a third firing.

Archived