Wadding Recipes Need Help

Krayart

I am trying to make wadding for building up my kiln shelves.  I have an electric kiln and normally I would use 50 parts EPK and 50 parts Ball Clay and mix with water till it is a dough and put it between my furniture and my Kiln shelf to act like a glue as I am building up my shelves to make them sturdy.

I do not have anymore EPK but I do have a big bag of Kaolinitic Clay (not sure exactly what that is but I do know that Kaolin is in EPK) in powder form and I also have OM4 Ball Clay and some Alumina.  Can I mix 50 parts Kaolinitic Clay and 50 parts OM4 Ball Clay and maybe throw in a little alumina to make a wadding for my shelving process?

I dont want to use much alumina since it is so expensive.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Guest JBaymore

Hey I just ordered 50# bag of the stuff-its cheaper that way.

There are very few things that I don't buy in 50 pound bags.  (Yes... cobalt carbonate and tin oxide are two of them. :) )

FYI....... for the college's anagama, which is a heavy ash deposit environment, we go thru about 125 pounds of wet wadding mixture.  That's for a pretty large kiln, and every pot and every post is waddded.  Overall ... it is minor expense relative to the value of the work in the kiln.

best,

.......................john

Archived