What Is Duncan Ea-092 Energy Saver Kiln Cone Temperature?

SydneyGee

Hello! 

New user here, I am pretty new to ceramics and just inherited my first kiln! My grandmother passed down a Duncan EA-092 kiln to me, and through internet searches and reading the manual I can not find what its maximum cone temperature is! I read somewhere that someone fired it at 019 (1220 degrees F)....which is a bit disappointing as I wanted to be able to fire at at least cone 5 for the typical clays and glazes I am used to using. I have only been using glazes and kilns through classes, so I have not had much hands on application for firing my own ceramics. 

My questions are, what is the EA-092 max cone firing. And if it does only fire to 019 what are my options for clays and glazes?

Thank you! 

post-79203-0-87050500-1472440024_thumb.jpeg

post-79203-0-87050500-1472440024_thumb.jpeg

You can download the user manual from the Paragon website (Paragon bought the rights to the line when Duncan went out of business). However, it doesn't give any information about the technical specs other than it needs a 20 amp circuit. Can you look for an electrical rating plate somewhere on the control panel and tell us how many watts it is rated for. Knowing how much electrical heat it is putting into the chamber might give us a starting point for guessing.

You can download the user manual from the Paragon website (Paragon bought the rights to the line when Duncan went out of business). However, it doesn't give any information about the technical specs other than it needs a 20 amp circuit. Can you look for an electrical rating plate somewhere on the control panel and tell us how many watts it is rated for. Knowing how much electrical heat it is putting into the chamber might give us a starting point for guessing.

I looked at the manual and as you said, there is no information on max temperature. The photo I have is the only area I can see with any useful information on it. I will try to take a better picture and see if there is any max watts.

Another option I guess would be to buy a cone from every rating and fire it up! Haha.

There should be a serial plate on the kiln that lists max temp. If it's missing, call Paragon.

Ok it looks like it is 1800 watts.

From an e-bay ad:  "DUNCAN KILN THE CRAFTER - MODEL ES 092 - LT-3K. FEATURED IS A PRE OWNED DUNCAN EA-092 -"THE CRAFTER" KILN IN VERY GOOD WORKING CONDITION. THIS UNIT IS 120 VOLTS, 16 AMPS, 1800 WATTS, MAX. TEMP 2060 F., CONE 2.THE KILN MEASURES 23" TALL, INSIDE DIAMETER IS 12 1/2" WIDE, INSIDE DEPTH IS 9".DOWNLOAD THE PDF ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTION MANUAL WITH ALL SPECIFICATIONS."

Also saw one listing max temp as Cone 02:  "Duncan EA-092 Energy Saver Automatic Kiln -- The Crafter-Plus.  This is a great littel kiln that is coffee table size and ready for use. It includes all accessories shown: furniture, cones, glazes, kiln wash, tools and more. It plugs into a regular grounded household 120 plug. Fires to 1260 degrees F, Cone 02."

May have been used for glass, dolls, or jewelry at Cone 019. 

Not going to get you to Cone 5. 

From an e-bay ad:  "DUNCAN KILN THE CRAFTER - MODEL ES 092 - LT-3K. FEATURED IS A PRE OWNED DUNCAN EA-092 -"THE CRAFTER" KILN IN VERY GOOD WORKING CONDITION. THIS UNIT IS 120 VOLTS, 16 AMPS, 1800 WATTS, MAX. TEMP 2060 F., CONE 2.THE KILN MEASURES 23" TALL, INSIDE DIAMETER IS 12 1/2" WIDE, INSIDE DEPTH IS 9".DOWNLOAD THE PDF ABOVE FOR INSTRUCTION MANUAL WITH ALL SPECIFICATIONS."

Also saw one listing max temp as Cone 02:  "Duncan EA-092 Energy Saver Automatic Kiln -- The Crafter-Plus.  This is a great littel kiln that is coffee table size and ready for use. It includes all accessories shown: furniture, cones, glazes, kiln wash, tools and more. It plugs into a regular grounded household 120 plug. Fires to 1260 degrees F, Cone 02."

May have been used for glass, dolls, or jewelry at Cone 019. 

Not going to get you to Cone 5. 

Drat, well that is not going to work for me! Thank you for finding that. My grandmother has a few other advanced kilns that I saw could fire up to cone 10, maybe I can swap this one out haha. 

Archived