Do you use your own pottery when entertaining? | Nov. 7, 2011

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukah are just around the corner. You may be gathering with family and friends to share a meal.

Will you be using human made pottery to cook and serve your food? Will it be yours or another potters?

How bold or shy are you about showcasing your talent?

The Question of the Week .....

Do you use your own pottery when entertaining?

Share pictures of how you use your own pottery when entertaining if you have some.

As ever, hit the reply keys outside of this message ... top or bottom of the page!

I threw a complete dinner ware set about 7 years ago and have used it every day. I glazed it a solid cobalt blue so I can buy colorful platters, bowls, and misc pieces from other artist and change things around at a whim. Blue is considered the worst color for dinnerware it makes the food unappealing, I thought this might help with weight loss, I even made the plates and bowls smaller, so far it hasn't worked. Every time we have people over for a dinner someone will first ask me if I made them and then comment on how cool it is that we use handmade dishes. Denice

I thought this might help with weight loss, I even made the plates and bowls smaller, so far it hasn't worked.

that is funny!

I dont use mine when entertaining but I also dont entertain very often. I only have a couple things I have kept, rest has gone to family but they use it all the time.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukah are just around the corner. You may be gathering with family and friends to share a meal.

Will you be using human made pottery to cook and serve your food? Will it be yours or another potters?

How bold or shy are you about showcasing your talent?

The Question of the Week .....

Do you use your own pottery when entertaining?

Share pictures of how you use your own pottery when entertaining if you have some.

As ever, hit the reply keys outside of this message ... top or bottom of the page!

I use them as I have them. Don't have table service, but many serving/display dishes. My wife uses an old bowl I made years ago to make all sorts of doughs, salads and such because it is so big, and nicely glazed. Teapots often as they work well in the microwave and are very nice to have a full pot around. Mugs we use often, and also honey jars.

I don't do functional wares, but use all of the pottery I have purchased on a daily basis. Guests who know pottery get a little nervous when ladling gravy from a recognized bowl, but where is the joy in leaving them on shelves? I love watching people being introduced to the warmth and texture of real pottery. Even children use lovely real pottery and look forward to choosing their own cups, bowls and plates. Happy to report nothing broken so far ... except by me!

I have a two place setting I made based on the Poppies design from Dartington Pottery that I made mine by basing them on geometric shapes. The dinner plate is round, the salad plate pentagonal, the soup bowls diamond shape and a pair of handled mugs that are also round. We use the dinner plates weekly but the rest are not used often (they're a little bit clunky....made 'em a long time ago.) I have a pair of short sgrafitto tumblers that see action several times through the week for wine, and I use a cereal bowl I made every morning.

I have started another set in porcelain that I plan for six place settings so I can entertain using my own wares. These will be a little thinner and lighter.

John

I have a two place setting I made based on the Poppies design from Dartington Pottery that I made mine by basing them on geometric shapes. The dinner plate is round, the salad plate pentagonal, the soup bowls diamond shape and a pair of handled mugs that are also round. We use the dinner plates weekly but the rest are not used often (they're a little bit clunky....made 'em a long time ago.) I have a pair of short sgrafitto tumblers that see action several times through the week for wine, and I use a cereal bowl I made every morning.

I have started another set in porcelain that I plan for six place settings so I can entertain using my own wares. These will be a little thinner and lighter.

John

I use my mugs or those of other potters every morning. I just can't abide commercially mass produced mugs. A couple of trays that I have made I use when .to parties. They make anything you put on them look like you really fussed over it (if I do say so myself). I would love to make A whole dinner ware set, but haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe January would be a good time to start.

I love to serve my friends with my own pottery or that of other potters.

Getting ready for a huge Thanksgiving feast for friends. The turkey will be served on a fine platter. Stuffing will be kept warm in a nice casserole.

I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday...giving Thanks for life's blessings expressed through the bounty on our table and offering it to our friends.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

I do use my own work frequently to learn "how it works" in the setting in which it is intended. Sometimes that is simply in day-to-day use with just family, and sometimes that is with friends. I learn a lot from this.

I would find it hard to understand how one could make objects intended for the serving of food and drink, without doing a lot of "testing" of the actual function of those works. One of the best ways of seeing how pieces fit this role is to watch people actually using them and listen to their comments. And watch facila expressions, body language, and such.

And of course to use them yourself.

I also love to use other's works that we have not only in day-to-day use but also with our friends. Sometimes people get surprised that we might actually USE such valuable pieces to eat or drink from. Gives a great opportuinity for doing some "pottery education"! Using other's works also gives me insight into how those pieces work and sometimes garners new ideas about approaches to take.

This stuff goes beyond food serving pieces. I often utilize things like flower vases and such when people are over too.

best,

.......................john

Archived