Qotw: What Is The Most Daring Material You Ever Added To Clay Or Glaze?

Giselle: well I think Punktierungseffekt is translated very freely into "glaze stays only on certain points on the piece", as in the word punktuell (selective or here and there or spot fixing or ??). Glaze doesn't stay as thick on raised parts than it does on... what?... sunken parts? Awwww, English is soooo complicate a language. But hey, this is a real brain-teaser!

Alabama: when I fire in the open (pit or drum) I always go very slow. Would you give us a hint how you can fire greenware fast? Without cracks?

Doris: as I said to Giselle, this is a brain-teaser. I will ask different supply shops how they call this breaking glaze in German. Stay tuned...

Matthew: oh boy, finally a spunky guy! Firework in glazes! I wouldn't recommend it though because your kiln can blow off :wacko: . Or would you take the explosive part of the firework out before putting the piece in the kiln? I hope. If or when you try it, please come back here and tell us of the result.

Evelyne

Evelyne, that's pretty much it. Only traces of the colorant are left, with some clear glaze, on the high points. Sunken parts is understandable to me! I've learned two other languages well enough to know that no language translates to another word for word! There are always idioms in one language, said in a word or two, that take a paragraph to explain in another. Also: 

English doesn’t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

- Terry Pratchett 

• 2 weeks later...

I have added safe stuff to my clay like chicken grit, rice, tea, coffee grounds, moss, leaves ...

the most fun was when I added bits of my unsuccessful, fired colored clay pieces back into new work.

I smashed them with a heavy hammer ( they were wrapped in cloth ) then sieved the scraps by size. I put the larger bits into a ball mill using the smaller bits as grit. When they were smooth I wedged them into fresh clay and made work with it. Next time I will mill them a day longer to take off more sharp edges.

The work is beautiful as it cracked around the pieces as it dried and fired.

if I added chicken grit and rice to my clay, the temptation to eat it would overwhelm me.

Glaze nerd

I have added safe stuff to my clay like chicken grit, rice, tea, coffee grounds, moss, leaves ...

the most fun was when I added bits of my unsuccessful, fired colored clay pieces back into new work.

I smashed them with a heavy hammer ( they were wrapped in cloth ) then sieved the scraps by size. I put the larger bits into a ball mill using the smaller bits as grit. When they were smooth I wedged them into fresh clay and made work with it. Next time I will mill them a day longer to take off more sharp edges.

The work is beautiful as it cracked around the pieces as it dried and fired.

if I added chicken grit and rice to my clay, the temptation to eat it would overwhelm me.

Glaze nerd

Then all you'd have to do was drink a flagon of glaze and you'd glaze your bowels tooo!

Archived