Clay Firmness

ronfire

I have been using the Plainsman M340 clay for 8 months. Have purchased it 4 times, the first 3 times the clay has been consistent in how firm it is. The last purchase a few days ago was very soft and find I can not work with it for anything larger than a mug. I can take a baseball size ball of clay and totally squeeze it out between my fingers when making a fist. Wandering if other have this issue with different runs of clay that they purchase.

I called the supplier and there reply was to look into it but did not think there was an issue as Plainsman has great quality control. I have not had a reply from them yet and will call again on Monday.

Guess I will have to plan ahead and cut the clay a day or two ahead of time and let it dry out some.

You might have just gotten a fresh box of the clay from the manufacturer, while the earlier purchases had a bit of shelf life to them.  Not an unusual problem for a clay body that is being constantly mixed and sold . . . ideally, you want the clay to age some, but some varieties sell so fast the manufacturer has a hard time keeping up with demand.  If you can, buy more than you need and let it age. 

ran into this problem a few years ago.  my little loafers is remarkably consistent so i was shocked to find a bag that was so sticky i could not use it at all.  called a number of fellow potters who use it and found it was the same with them.  after contacting highwater in north carolina i found that some of the clay destined for florida was wetter than usual because someone thought the "humidity required something wetter".  ???????   they arranged a return of the 500 pounds and i got my usual good stuff.  the date on the boxes was important to the solution of the problem because it showed that it was done during that period.

I had the reverse problem. Clay was too hard! Also a Plainsman product-P580 which is a porcelain. My supplier in Winnipeg took back the porcelain and exchanged it for softer clay.

M340 and Buffstone are the two most popular clays for highschools here. The clay doesn't sit around. I wouldn't leave it out all night. Make a big hoop of clay on your wedging table and leave it for a couple of hours.

TJR.

Thanks for the advise. I will try to let it sit out maybe overnight as things are drying slowly now that it is raining and colder. 

Just a little break from throwing now anyway as I am building a sales gallery. Hope it will pay off in the long run otherwise it will become a guest cabin.

Archived