Friend's Studio To Be Sold, Equipment Available. Any Suggestions?

oldlady

i am not trying to use the forum for a forbidden purpose but i have seen ads over the years in ceramics monthly and other places for pottery studios for sale.  the assumption is that another potter will want the space.  does anyone have any experience with this method of sale?  does it ever work?

suggestions for what to do about the stuff left behind welcome as long as it does not involve giving it to a "worthy cause".  those schools and institutions who will take things "off your hands" are not what i am looking for.

it is likely that the house and separate studio will be sold to a person wanting a property in the country but having no interest in the studio itself.  i have seen this happen often but wonder if there is a way to find a potter who wants a propane kiln, large studio and separate house.  anyone have any ideas?  my friend has already moved to another state and i am just trying to help.

The sale information can be posted on any of a number of pottery related Facebook sites.  Also, get the information out to studios and pottery groups in the area.  Overall, I would expect the audience of potters looking for a new home with a studio to be quite small, though.  I believe Malcom Davis' WVA house/studio/kilns are still up for sale several years after his passing. 

The larger house buying market may be put off by a property with studio, kiln, and chemicals . . . she may have to make a decision on having the kiln and chemicals removed.  Otherwise, she could end up with inspection problems should she get an offer.  House inspectors are likely to freak out over a kiln and storage of chemicals and advise the prospective buyers to require a professional super-fund-style clean up as a punch list item or to have a separate chemical inspection -- mostly out of ignorance. 

i guess i didn't say this right.  i know about the ads in ceramics monthly, i would like to know if they ever work.  that's why i asked if anyone has any experience with this method of sale.

i am going out there maybe tuesday to photograph what is left in the studio.  they moved several years ago leaving the house rented but the separate studio was not part of the rental agreement.  they have been removing things over these years.  i plan to take the chemicals that are left.  when put on the market,   it will not be mistaken for a toxic waste dump.  we all agree that it will probably need to be totally dismantled as a studio and called something stupid like a "man cave" or "in-law-apartment" when it hits the market.  just trying to see what other avenues there might be.

A local potter got rid of her stuff when she was moving by listing it on craigslist. I bought her extruder and show panels...i was too late for the slab roller. While i was there other people were looking at the raku kiln tho they decided it was too big for their needs.

My classroom(one of those nonprofits you didn't want hear about) was also the benefactor of another potter secondhand. She sold off the equipment, sold the house with a shed full of glazes and chemicals. The new owners called my school and asked if they wanted it...i went out that weekend and took it all. She was happy cause she now had a shed empty ready for her hobbies as well as a tax write off.

My god my place could be a super fund site. The only issue is you can send me the super funds now so I can use them before i'm gone???

actually I never have had a shard dump or any ceramics dump on my acre-but I do have some chemicals-only a few really -I'm not a hoarder really- send clean up super funds now so I can enjoy them in the tropics this winter while underwater I will think about cleaning up all the materials I've hoarded. over my lifetime.

Mark

Checking the mailbox daily for those super fund checks-you guys are not mailing them fast enough.So far NONE.

Maybe itbwould be a good idea to write your best clean up story on the back of a crisp 100$ bill and mail that to me

Mark

Archived