Mason Stain That Stays Red In High Fire?

Hello, my studio uses a cone 10 gas kiln and I love to do sgraffito with slips on porcelain and stoneware.  All of the red and purple slips that we have turn blue in the high fire.  The closest we have to a warm color is a saturn orange which turns kind of a pale peach color.  Do any mason stains stay red (or failing that, a warm color) in a high fire kiln?  Thanks!

I also do sgraffito on porcelain to ^10. For some colors I simply add a Mason stain to my clay body to make colored slip, but for red I have applied Amaco Velvet Red or Bright Red underglazes on greenware, then carved through it for sgraffito, I bisque to ^06, then glaze with a clear glaze and fire to ^10. The color stays red. The Velevet underglaze functions similarly to slip for carving.

I use them all the time, and my name is also Tom. Check out the chicken plate in my gallery. It's a Mason stain with fritt over a glaze fired to Cone 10. I have also used Degrusia Inclusion stains. They are expensive, but you get consistent results.

I will look in my studio for the # of the stain.

TJR.

• 1 month later...

Archived