Making A Boat Bowl

I have seen bowls of many sizes that are shaped like boats, doreys and canoes. They are made of low fire clay and then glazed. I would like to go into production of them but an unsure what method to follow. Should I make them all by slab? Has anyone seen any videos showing how to do this...or should I make one by slab method and then make a plasetr casting mold? I have searched the internet and cannot find any info on making them so any help with this project would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have seen bowls of many sizes that are shaped like boats, doreys and canoes. They are made of low fire clay and then glazed. I would like to go into production of them but an unsure what method to follow. Should I make them all by slab? Has anyone seen any videos showing how to do this...or should I make one by slab method and then make a plasetr casting mold? I have searched the internet and cannot find any info on making them so any help with this project would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greetings and welcome aboard:

I don't mean to be flip but generally experience dictates the best methods of production. I understand the basic shape of a boat or a dory or even a canoe, they are all radically different, but are you planning on making them look like they are clinker built or clay bottomed, there would be a huge difference. Clinker built you might get away with slab building and then planking the boat as one would do a real boat but you would need to spile the planks just as one would in a real boat. A clay bottom would certainly not be something that would suggest slab construction since it is difficult to make a developable shape from a flat slab. There are a lot of considerations, such as use, you wouldn't want functional pottery to be low-fired for sanitary and health considerations. Who is your customer, are you planning to export these to the US? Do you understand the various entities you would have to satisfy There is much to consider before one goes into production. I'm afraid a forum is better suited to answering fairly simple questions but does not have the ability to answer a question in depth. A perusal of the other posts on the forum would give you an idea of the type of questions that lend themselves to simple answers. We can point you in the right direction but only education and experience will give you the tools to produce a marketable product.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards,

Charles

Thanks

I don't mean to be flip but generally experience dictates the best methods of production. I understand the basic shape of a boat or a dory or even a canoe, they are all radically different, but are you planning on making them look like they are clinker built or clay bottomed, there would be a huge difference. Clinker built you might get away with slab building and then planking the boat as one would do a real boat but you would need to spile the planks just as one would in a real boat. A clay bottom would certainly not be something that would suggest slab construction since it is difficult to make a developable shape from a flat slab. There are a lot of considerations, such as use, you wouldn't want functional pottery to be low-fired for sanitary and health considerations. Who is your customer, are you planning to export these to the US? Do you understand the various entities you would have to satisfy There is much to consider before one goes into production. I'm afraid a forum is better suited to answering fairly simple questions but does not have the ability to answer a question in depth. A perusal of the other posts on the forum would give you an idea of the type of questions that lend themselves to simple answers. We can point you in the right direction but only education and experience will give you the tools to produce a marketable product.

Best regards,

Charles

Gosh Charles,

Thanks for all the suggestions...(I think?)...but all I asked for was if anyone knew of any ways to make boat bowls. Such questions as contents and import export rules are something that would be looked into on my own...by the way...just because "Newbie" is by soeones name do not assume they are new to pottery...I am but new to the site and have been working on Ceramics and Pottery since the 70's. And yes...I consoder that flip. The first person was helpful

I have been making some boat forms by throwing a bottomless form and closing in the top, then letting it firm up and slicing it down the middle. I then lay them cut side down and slip and score them together. Some times I throw a base and other times I hand build legs. I use a porcelain clay body or a 1/2&1/2 mix of stoneware and porcelain. They are fun to create and I like to throw then alter. The idea to make a bisque mold is one I will try next and like you I am only a "newbie" to this site.

Thanks

Best regards,

Charles

Gosh Charles,

Thanks for all the suggestions...(I think?)...but all I asked for was if anyone knew of any ways to make boat bowls. Such questions as contents and import export rules are something that would be looked into on my own...by the way...just because "Newbie" is by soeones name do not assume they are new to pottery...I am but new to the site and have been working on Ceramics and Pottery since the 70's. And yes...I consoder that flip. The first person was helpful

My Apologies. It was not meant as a put down, I was just answering the questions you put forth and you did say you wanted to go "into production" I just figured that one did not go "into production" as a hobby. I did not assume that you were a "Newbie" from the title, I assumed from the question you asked that you had limited experience. Let me deconstruct the conversation. You mentioned that you had "seen" bowls shaped like "boats, dory's and canoes" those are all very varied shapes, a dory has a high transom, a canoe has two pointy ends and a lot of tumble home that is non-existent in the dory and the boat can be anything from a punt to a dhow. You asked if anyone knew how to "make boat bowls" I made a few suggestions, your question did not indicate a great body of knowledge or much experience. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in talking about developable shapes. The questions posed are basically those of someone coming on a site for builders and asking how to build to build a lean-to: a question I believe would suggest a lack of knowledge and experience. At this point I truly have no idea what you thought you were asking but I am certainly not going to respond further.

Guest Herb Norris

Not to add fuel to the fire, but from your question, I too got the impression that you were a CLAY noob, not just a forum noob.

Imagine my suprise when I read that the author of the question has been working in clay for some thirty-odd years!

That's pretty cool, cause then you will have lots of good advice for those of us that haven't had our hands in it (so to speak - haha!) for that long.

I don't think I've ever read a denigrating remark from Charles in all his many posts here.

Guest Herb Norris

I'm with you there, I wish there were some way to delete posts altogether; I guess only the admin can do that.

Anyway, I think that the "derelict Vessels" of Frank Stayaert (boat and ship forms) are really amazing, are you thinking along those lines?

Mr Bieblish,

I've been thinking about boat-shaped serving bowls myself, and I think the right answer for me is to drape slabs over a plaster hump mold. But before I invest any time or plaster into a permanent mold, I'm going to play with slabs, using temporary supports like upholstery foam, styrofoam, newspaper, etc., until I develop a design I can commit to. Then I will build a permanent mold. I build a lot of tableware this way, and I really like the technique and the results.

Charles and Herb, I'm scratching my head. I don't see anything about the original question that indicates it was written by a beginner. Besides, there are LOTS of questions on this forum written by the beginners, and I hope they will all get respectful responses, rather than someone trying to make them feel like a beginner.

Mea

Mr Bieblish,

I've been thinking about boat-shaped serving bowls myself, and I think the right answer for me is to drape slabs over a plaster hump mold. But before I invest any time or plaster into a permanent mold, I'm going to play with slabs, using temporary supports like upholstery foam, styrofoam, newspaper, etc., until I develop a design I can commit to. Then I will build a permanent mold. I build a lot of tableware this way, and I really like the technique and the results.

Charles and Herb, I'm scratching my head. I don't see anything about the original question that indicates it was written by a beginner. Besides, there are LOTS of questions on this forum written by the beginners, and I hope they will all get respectful responses, rather than someone trying to make them feel like a beginner.

Mea

Mea:

I take exception to your suggestion that the questions were not responded to with respect. I have no idea what you consider disrespect but I see no disrespect, I only see disagreement. If anyone was disrespectful it was the original poster who obviously misunderstood the nature of the orginal response, but I don't take offense to that. I do take offense at your suggestion that I was disrespectful. I tried to respond completely having no knowledge of the persons's background. If someone asks how to make a bowl it indicates a certain lack of basic knowledge since almost everyone I know usually starts with a bowl as their first shape. You may be a mderator but that does not make you infallible. You don't have to ban me I'll just go ahead and ban myself!

Regards,

Charles

Mr Bieblish,

Mea

Mea:

I take exception to your suggestion that the questions were not responded to with respect. I have no idea what you consider disrespect but I see no disrespect, I only see disagreement. If anyone was disrespectful it was the original poster who obviously misunderstood the nature of the orginal response, but I don't take offense to that. I do take offense at your suggestion that I was disrespectful. I tried to respond completely having no knowledge of the persons's background. If someone asks how to make a bowl it indicates a certain lack of basic knowledge since almost everyone I know usually starts with a bowl as their first shape. You may be a mderator but that does not make you infallible. You don't have to ban me I'll just go ahead and ban myself!

Regards,

Charles

I did not ban you?...did I ? I apologized and said I was having a bad day. I tried to end the thread?..I thought that would delete the whole mess I created....what have I done? Sorry for all the caffufual I have created...I think that a forum is not the place for me...I may be a potter but Im not internet savvy. Again my apologies...

Mr Bieblish,

I am sorry that your first experience with this forum has been disheartening. This is the first time I have seen any disention with members, much less had one of the moderators chime in. In my experience everyone here has been extremely helpful.

IMHO, the written word can so easily be misconstrued. So, I'll chide all involved in this post. Don't take everything personally, be carefull of your written word and how it comes across.

We are here as a community of potters both old and new. Let's share our knowledge without arrogance.

Pam

Archived