Help With What To Do With Kiln Just Being Wired

jolieo

Hi so my husband is wiring my kiln. It is a paragon. A 66-b , 240 v, 15 amp. Gies to cone 8. Right now it just has an infinite switch, high ,medium and low. It looks like it has never been used. It has a few small (quarter size)pieces out of the top.i have a hand held old old old pyrometer that someone gave me.

What should I do next, under the theory that it works? I will have to special order the ramp master because the plug differs. Thanks Jolie

Yes I have them! What I mean is literal, the kiln didn't come w instructions , I don't know what to do first.i know kiln wash is involved but how on inside of kiln and to what temp and how long and how many times etc plus what to look for . I have never fired a kiln

3 thin coats of kiln wash on the shelves, not on inside of kiln. Put a shelf at the bottom, up on 1/2" or 1" posts. Load the kiln, keeping all kiln posts in vertical alignment. Close the lid. For an infinite switch, just ballpark the settings for low-med-high. Low for 1 hour, med for 1 hour, high till the cone bends. If you have numbers on the dial, 1 for an hour, 3-4 for an hour, high till done. You can go 1/2 hour for low and med for glaze firings.

Do I fire w kiln wash first or put kiln wash on , let it dry , then fire. Also do I need to fire kiln at all first. Also how full should I get it? And what you told me , that's full on till cone 6. 1 hour, 1 hour, then full on till come 6?

DUH! Thanks Guinea, I just read the instructions. They are different . I am not sure I understand them all either cuz they were written in 1977.

First off , the instructions say to heat to ^018, then ^05 to condition the kiln. So where is the best place to buy cones since I need to get more ^ s than I anticipated?

Second they said to put directly on the floor of the kiln w a good coat of kiln wash down. Even when glazing. Ok but that means no room for error even small errors. Granted the kiln is only 1.4 sqft , but still.

Third it talks of stuff in the firing schedule , like venting until put on high. I guess I'll call them.

This is so exciting! I have to make enough stuff to fill the kiln. Jolie

Jolie, if you plan to "condition" the kiln by firing to 018 with no pots in the kiln, you probably don't need to buy a box of cones for that purpose.  If it were me, I'd just use the pyrometer-- a little off won't matter.  But on the next firing to 05, I'd load it with pots and use cones, because that's a perfectly good bisque temp for most clay bodies.

A New kiln never used from 1977-Now thats some new old stock.

its like an old twilight Zone movie

one thing for certain do not place pots during a glaze directly on kiln bottom so if glaze runs or drips your bottom will get damaged.

Mark

Archived