Clay Drying Time

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, so this is my hello - Hi everybody!! About two or so weeks ago, I sculpted a pair of hands (real life size) and a human heart (slightly larger than real life size), and everything has come along nicely, until I realized that I made a big 'whoops' the hands have dried nicely, but the heart is a solid 3x3.5 inches of clay at it's widest point. It had totally slipped my mind to make it hollow (creative spontaneity?!) and now I have no clue how long it is going to take to dry. I did put holes in it to help it out a bit, but I'm still scared to fire it early. How long do you think it will take to dry? If it helps any, I live in Taos NM - a pretty dry climate.

Thank you!

Savannah

post-66139-0-85902700-1422476334_thumb.jpg

post-66139-0-75010400-1422476342_thumb.jpg

post-66139-0-85902700-1422476334_thumb.jpg

post-66139-0-75010400-1422476342_thumb.jpg

If you are not in a hurry, the longer the better. If you are in a hurry, the longer the better. It may feel dry on the outside, but the inside is going to take much more time to dry.

Regardless, you'll need a several hours long pre-heat for bisque to reduce the likelihood of cracking/splitting. Even after a long drying time, there will still be traces of physical water in an object that thick. So, the long pre-heat, below boiling temperature, allows that trapped moisture to move to the surface and be eliminated. To be on the safe side for firing, I'd put a "fence" of broken kiln shelves/"loseable" pots around the heart so if it blows up, it will not take out any other items of value in the kiln.

this looks as though it is going to be a sign for

a doctor's office.  is it?

No, it's just a random little thought I had that popped into my head :) The piece is called "Simplicity vs. Reality" and hopefully nothing will explode and the hands and heart(s) will all still be together

If you are not in a hurry, the longer the better. If you are in a hurry, the longer the better. It may feel dry on the outside, but the inside is going to take much more time to dry.

Regardless, you'll need a several hours long pre-heat for bisque to reduce the likelihood of cracking/splitting. Even after a long drying time, there will still be traces of physical water in an object that thick. So, the long pre-heat, below boiling temperature, allows that trapped moisture to move to the surface and be eliminated. To be on the safe side for firing, I'd put a "fence" of broken kiln shelves/"loseable" pots around the heart so if it blows up, it will not take out any other items of value in the kiln.

This is so helpful, thank you so much!

Archived