Throwing Reclaimed Clay

The last couple of days I have been throwing with reclaimed clay that I wedged and packaged in July.  It's a mix of Laguna's speckled buff and a little bit of Armadillo's Cinco.  What a joy to throw with.  It works so well, has good legs, and I'm able to get needed height in that elusive 3 pulls.  Got another 10# bag I think I will let sit until late spring.  I always recycle my clay, but this has been the best I've thrown. 

My reclaim is sooo weird. :D It's a hideous band-aid color by itself, but add my underglaze paintings, and it becomes a beautiful parchment or coffee-stained paper color. I discovered this totally on accident, when my pieces ended up too dry to add slip. So, I just painted right on the clay, and omg. Wonderful things happened. Yay for happy accidents! ^_^

I have been reclaiming for years. Heck even my clay out of the box could sometimes be considered reclaim as I store clay outside in the Winter. Hmmm Standard Ceramics boxes say Do Not Freeze. However, I have gotten used to wedging clay well after opening the box, and often letting it sit for a few days before actually throwing. I also use throwing scraps and slurry in bags twisted and turned up side down so weight seals them. Small amounts of water do dribble out. One or two months of this and it is ready to wedge into stiffer clay from bags or other reclaim. Labor intensive, but then it is good exercise! As I am retired I really don't mind the time.

Archived