Need Help With This Technique

Your project is going to be labor intensive with all those tiny holes. If it were just a fruit bowl/colander, I use masonry drill bits, but by hand action--not electric drill or dremel--when the clay is medium leather hard. Holding the drill bit by hand allows better angles and not hard pressure that could damage your piece. Try using a small bit and work your way up to a larger size--helps prevent cracking. Make sure to either use a countersink to clean up the edges of the hole or I use a small thin elephant ear sponge wrapped and tied around a chopstick or bamboo skewer to soften the hole edges.

Your project is going to be labor intensive with all those tiny holes. If it were just a fruit bowl/colander, I use masonry drill bits, but by hand action--not electric drill or dremel--when the clay is medium leather hard. Holding the drill bit by hand allows better angles and not hard pressure that could damage your piece. Try using a small bit and work your way up to a larger size--helps prevent cracking. Make sure to either use a countersink to clean up the edges of the hole or I use a small thin elephant ear sponge wrapped and tied around a chopstick or bamboo skewer to soften the hole edges.

Thank you Idaho.... I have not used a masonry drill before ... I will experiment with the Dremel if that doesn't work I will use the masonry....

I have plenty of chopsticks I use in my work... That is a good idea with the sponge. I wonder ifnit would work with it wrapped in chamois cloth.

You also can copy the texture from the bowl with latex.After making the mold ,then press the latex sheet mold into clay.Since latex is bendable, it can be used to impress a warped surface.

Hi Rob,

I have a "sea fan" which I can roll the clay to get the design. What do you think about this: if I pour clay slip over the "sea fan" and suspend it over a bowl ... Adding a little more as it dries would that work?

Anyone?

You could dip the whole sea fan in slip then let it drain so the holes appeared or were at least thinner than the rest.

Fire it and the sea fan will burn out ... you will have a fragile piece afterwards though ...

I have done this with lace and the fired piece was always quite breakable.

But ... That is why we love pieces ... we know how hard they are to do well.

Hi Rob,

I have a "sea fan" which I can roll the clay to get the design. What do you think about this: if I pour clay slip over the "sea fan" and suspend it over a bowl ... Adding a little more as it dries would that work?

Connie,you can try adding layers of slip to the coral by doing a small test piece.Maybe it works with paperclay or paper porcelain clay.It is also possible to add porcelain paperclay to a chicken wire;but I don't know of this procedé is comparable to dipping a seafan in slip.

I have plenty of chopsticks I use in my work... That is a good idea with the sponge. I wonder ifnit would work with it wrapped in chamois cloth.

Love to make bamboo chopsticks into tools. They worked so well that I got a bunch of bamboo kitchen utensils, cut the handles off, and made a series of throwing and trimming ribs using the bowls and handles.

Hi Everyone,post-3602-12949718650898_thumb.jpg

I love the texture on this metal bowl. I would like to create this texture in ceramic. I have a "sea fan" that would help me with this... but how do I get the holes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tried pressing any particles into the clay that would burn out. I can't tell how large the holes are, I used vermiculite one time, it didn't completely burn away, so I had to pick it out. Some ideas off the top of my head is saw dust, bird seed, rice, couscous and the list could go on and on. Hope this helps. Denice (Wichita, KS)

You could dip the whole sea fan in slip then let it drain so the holes appeared or were at least thinner than the rest.

Fire it and the sea fan will burn out ... you will have a fragile piece afterwards though ...

I have done this with lace and the fired piece was always quite breakable.

But ... That is why we love pieces ... we know how hard they are to do well.

That is what I thought... To let it drip through ... TY

Archived