Putting My Kiln Into A Rental

I am having to move into a rental house for about a year.  I am going to talk to the land lord this week.  what would be the best way to talk about the kiln.   I think the hardest part is telling them they need to call their insurance company and notify them of it.  I will be getting renter's insurance along with paying an electrician to come out and put in wiring and a outlet.  I'm just really nervous about this.  The rental market is very tight here and this is only the second house suitable to come along in 6 months.  I miss out on the first one by not turning in the rental application fast enough.

If your kiln is a big part of your life and you really have no other options, you could compensate the landlord for the difference in insurance. It would be difficult to find out whether or not the landlord's insurance would actually go up. To be fair, he needs to know if there is a kiln, and I'm sure he would like to know that it is installed correctly. Some landlords will not allow you to modify anything. Your renters insurance only covers your stuff, not the house. Renters insurance may make little difference to your landlord, but he may appreciate the idea that you have it .

Tomorrow I am going to look at one of those large wooden storage buildings.  I know I will have to put in cement board and electrical.  But, I would then be able to take it with me when I move.  I will have to see what the moving fee is for when I move again.  This may turn out to be a good idea.  I could put my kiln in it and make a glaze mixing station in it also. 

Archived