Interesting Article On Tableware In Oct. 1St Wall St. Journal

In the Personal Journal section of the Oct. 1 WSJ is a lengthy article titled "Forget the Food: Trendy-Restaurant Diners Want the Plates."

This site won't allow me to cut-and-paste the article, but the gist is that restaurateurs are replacing white porcelain dishes with more rustic-looking ware. Chefs say that farm fare "pops" when served on handmade, glazed ceramics in earth colors.  Designs are updated too, with shallower bowls and sloped plates.  Many customers are trying to purchase the plates directly from the restaurant, or are tracking down artisans who cater mainly to restaurants.

I heard a presentation on this subject by a potter who was the only one catering to the restaurant trade. The Bellagio in Vegas was one of her clients.

She made some good points.

One ... The buyer will drop the plate to see how easily it breaks. Broken plates are lost $$$

Two ... The health department will search for chipped dishes and then they have to get rid of them. So edges should match the underneath clay so they don't leap out and get noticed.

Three ... Excellent fitting stacking and storage is needed

Yes bud vases could be a good idea, we are actually low on soup bowls at the moment so i might make some of those - it's only a small place so we wouldn't need many. Even the commercially made ones we have stack terribly, and handles have broken - hence only a few left. We aren't a fancy enough place to have chargers  :rolleyes:

Archived