Silicone Caulk For Mold Making

It will cast undercuts which can be an issue later in clay.

Plaster works so well

Even plaster gauze

Since the silicone has no mo sistrum sucking I cannot see the needs?

Small press molds for epoxy work?

Or are you thinking clay?

Mark

My thought was that since the mold would be somewhat flexible then slight undercuts would be okay. I was thinking of using it for shallow sprig molds so the non absorbent properties wouldn't really be an issue on thin pieces. I usually use bisque or plaster but the idea of having undercuts appealed to me.

I am fairly lazy so that method is so work intensive it makes me tired just to read it!

There are so many other choices from plaster to latex ... Latex makes a super flexible mold that stays that way for years.

Step one ... Get object

Step two ... Brush on latex

Step three ... Let it dry.

Repeat with thin layers until the mold is as thick as you want.

Bonus with latex is you can take it to the object, such as tree bark or stone patterns.

Potters are also trying mold products that dentists use for impressions. Quick and they don't shrink.

Potters are also trying mold products that dentists use for impressions. Quick and they don't shrink.

Alginate is an option for casting body parts or similar high detail objects. It's more rigid and much less durable than silicon rubber, but much cheaper, and has better release.

What is the difference between the silicone rubber sold for mold making and the 100% silicone sold for caulking? (apart from cost)

What is the difference between the silicone rubber sold for mold making and the 100% silicone sold for caulking? (apart from cost)

I don't know what's going on chemically between the two products, aside from the curing system. The silicone rubber sold for mold making tends to be a two part system, whereas silicone caulking is a one part system. The mold rubber tends to be more rigid, but additives are available to make it more flexible. In terms of cost, the price per gallon is marked up ~$10-15 for smooth-on rubber products vs. generic silicone caulking. Not as bad as I thought it was.

Silicone used for caulking is very thick ... I just cannot see it being able to pick up fine detail. It smells awful, takes a long time to dry and can irritate skin. The smell lasts even when it is dry.

Latex smells at first but not when it is dry.

You can even use slip for molds ... let it dry and don't fire it ... Surprising how long it will last.

Alginate is an option for casting body parts or similar high detail objects. It's more rigid and much less durable than silicon rubber, but much cheaper, and has better release.

mold rubber is two parts and they set very firm

The walls are hard and can take the thick plaster molds from treating them roughly, silicone is way softer

My master molds last forever and you can make working molds from them

Mark

Archived