Test Kiln Investment

I am currently using low-fire glazes, mainly majolica, but would like to begin doing some cone 6 glazing. Since I don't fire to cone 6 now, the only way I can think of to fire test tiles of the few glazes I want to experiment with is by purchasing a test kiln. It seems like a huge waste to fire my big kiln for just a few tiles. I've checked online and there are numerous test kilns on the market. Any comments on your experience with test kilns, brands, uses, etc. would be helpful. Or even how I might go about firing test tiles without buying one....they're rather expensive.

I have had my test kiln for 15 or so years. It is a crucible from Seattle pottery. Its inside dimension is about 13" w x 10" deep. I use it quite a lot. I do lots of ^6 glaze testing , but I can also get a load of mugs in there or individual pots that need refiring, etc. It fires on 120 household current. I also have a huge oval kiln and a medium size electric, plus raku kilns.

I once had a paragon that had extra rings. That was versatile.

I guess your kiln purchases really depend on your work habits.

Marcia

I have one too - built by alfred tech many years ago - cheap-household current-great for tests and small stuff.

Just exploring a cheape way to go .........anyone in your region that fires ^6? fellow potters, com college, arts center?

then you can figure out where you're going w/o investment.

I am currently using low-fire glazes, mainly majolica, but would like to begin doing some cone 6 glazing. Since I don't fire to cone 6 now, the only way I can think of to fire test tiles of the few glazes I want to experiment with is by purchasing a test kiln. It seems like a huge waste to fire my big kiln for just a few tiles. I've checked online and there are numerous test kilns on the market. Any comments on your experience with test kilns, brands, uses, etc. would be helpful. Or even how I might go about firing test tiles without buying one....they're rather expensive.

When I graduated from Wichita State University I asked my ceramics professor Rick St.John if there was any piece of equipment I should invest in. He said to get a test kiln, he had tried several different types and preferred one that can be turned up slowly like a big kiln, he thought that type of firing gave you more accurate results. I have a Aim test kiln, it's only 6"X6" inside and plugs into a regular 110 outlet. I've had it for 15 years the only down side to it is that it's to little to down fire or use a pyrometer successfully, I've tried! A little larger one might be nice so that you can use for other small firings. If I was buying a new one I would at least buy one with a built in pyrometer, I use my test kiln at least once a week, couldn't live without it. Denice (Wichita KS)

I have one too - built by alfred tech many years ago - cheap-household current-great for tests and small stuff.

Just exploring a cheape way to go .........anyone in your region that fires ^6? fellow potters, com college, arts center?

then you can figure out where you're going w/o investment.

Yes, I have several potter friends who fire cone 6, but they're about 30 minutes away, which is not bad, but I'd rather be able to fire in my studio instead of waiting until I make a trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived