Which Wheel For This Person?

One of my newer hand building students wants to buy a wheel.  She has had just enough instruction to sort of center a 2 lb ball of clay and while a bit hesitant, is very focused, a good learned , OCD enough to want to get it right and does several other things with a good bit of skill.   She says she likes the wheel better than HB.  She has a studio near her to work in and room for a wheel and others who, while not wheel throwers, can run a kiln and have glazes. 

What wheel should I suggest she buy?  I have a TS Revolution, a Brent B and 2 really light weight others on loan to me, a Shimpo Whisper lite and a Pacifica 400.  I can tell a tremendous difference between the TS and the 2 light weight ones.  She has been using the Pacifica. I am going to but her on the TS tomorrow and see if she knows the difference.

Any recommendations?  Price is not a big issue. The cheapest wheel is $775, the most . the TS, is $1,200.

I would say, if price isn't an issue, go all out with the top of the line TS, Brent or even a Soldner.

But it all depends on what the person is intending to do with it. How big do they want to throw? Unless they plan on centering a couple hundred pounds of clay at a time, there isn't really a need to spend more on a larger motor model. How big of a splash pan do they want, if they want one at all. I would suggest having one, as newer potters tend to use more water. Is noise an issue? if so, the Shimpo Whisper apparently live up to their name, with less torque being a trade off.

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about TS or Brent. So maybe suggest a midrange model, and spend the money, that they would have spent on going all out, and get some bats, throwing tools, etc.

I would say, if price isn't an issue, go all out with the top of the line TS, Brent or even a Soldner.

But it all depends on what the person is intending to do with it. How big do they want to throw? Unless they plan on centering a couple hundred pounds of clay at a time, there isn't really a need to spend more on a larger motor model. How big of a splash pan do they want, if they want one at all. I would suggest having one, as newer potters tend to use more water. Is noise an issue? if so, the Shimpo Whisper apparently live up to their name, with less torque being a trade off.

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about TS or Brent. So maybe suggest a midrange model, and spend the money, that they would have spent on going all out, and get some bats, throwing tools, etc.

The newer Soldners don't feel right. If you can get a used one, it's a much better investment.

Thanks, Neil.  That is what I'm heading her to.  Will she see much difference between my 1/2 HP TS and the 1/3 ?  other features seem to be the same.

She won't see any difference. I throw on a 1/2 most of the time, but when I use a 1/3 there's no difference. I recommend the built in splash pan. It's heavier and you can use the sides to brace against.

Archived