Terra Sig Useful Life Expectancy

Dwight

Hi,

We are relatively new to making and using terra sig for our pit fired ware.  We are curious to know how long a batch remains "good".  We have not dried down the sig, as others suggest, but have kept it (two different batches) in sealed, covered containers.  The older batch is about 4 yrs. old,  the other is about 2.5 yrs. old.  The newer batch has settled into two layers: a water clear upper layer and a bottom silty layer, while the older batch's top layer is less clear, but the bottom layer is similar to the first.  I don't know the S.G. of either batch, but when fresh, it was approx. 1.15.

Are we better off making new sig or might we use what we have?

Any insight, comments, and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dwight

I made a couple batches of terra sig back in 2001 using Red Art and Ball clays.  Shaking those gallon jugs prior to application still yields good results.  Getting ultra-fine terra sig may seem like a lot of trouble, but I susbscribe to the process described by Vince Pitelka.

-Paul

I have used Kenny's system requiring a ball mill. I have used Charlie Riggs system for workshops where there was no ball mill. Most recently I learned a system at La Meridiana using a plastic bottle. Punching a hole above the heavy sentiment line and collecting the finer liquid as it squirts out the bottle. It works really well for terr sig.

and is fast.

Marcia

Archived