Overglaze As An Underglaze?

I have succesfully used cobalt oxide mixed with water as an overglaze on my clear glaze. Is it possible to also put the cobalt oxide onto bisque ware and then clear glaze over it for the same result?

Sometimes substituting cobalt carbonate for cobalt oxide solves the burn/bubble problem. You could even try cobalt sulfate for a very subtle blue.

I have used cobalt sulphate and found it to be a very strong blue. What do you use as a per centage? I also have a brightly decorated bowl by Sarah jaeger that had cobalt sulphate as a colorant. It is a brilliant cobalt blue among other colors.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

The same percentage of each of the three cobalts gives strongest colors in order: oxide, carbonate, sulphate.

Jim

I have used cobalt sulphate and found it to be a very strong blue. What do you use as a per centage? I also have a brightly decorated bowl by Sarah jaeger that had cobalt sulphate as a colorant. It is a brilliant cobalt blue among other colors.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

The same percentage of each of the three cobalts gives strongest colors in order: oxide, carbonate, sulphate.

Jim

I hadn't thought of it that way but that makes perfect sense. I use the cobalt ox. and carb. mixed with dry ingredients more often.

Thanks.

Marcia

Archived