Teaching A Workshop - Advice?

I'm being encouraged to teach a sculpting workshop.
Never done such a thing before.

Thinking of teaching a 2-day workshop for up to 10 participants of all sill levels.
I split my work between animal "sketches" and larger, zoomorphic pieces. I think the participants are wanting the focus to be on the animals.
I have a couple of subjects that could be complete the first day, refined and possibly raku fired the second day, that would demonstrate things like gesture, proportion, spindly/sticky-out parts, texture and glaze/oxide application.

I have a local pottery willing to host us for a small percentage and they can also provide clay and kilns.

And beyond that, I'm a little lost.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions or wisdom for me?
Thanks!

Outline your demonstration allotting the time. Boil down everything you have written into short phrases or "talking points" to keep the demo and discussions on course. Prepare demo steps before hand to let folks see finished stage as you work towards it- ex 4 walls assembled to be pulled out after you assemble two walls etc. Have examples of alternative answers to a process or step-coiled handles versus cut, or extruded etc.

By thinking ahead in this manner you should be able to guage your time needed and pare to size, anticipate any problems or questions your audience may have, and assure a smooth workshop.

congrats!  try to get an idea of the skill level (if any) and experience of each audience by suggesting a beginner workshop or a more advanced one.  send out a list of terms in advance so they will understand the technical terms and language you use.  it is much more productive if most people are on the same level. 

have someone film it so you can see what to improve next time.

First question to decide . . . will this be a demonstration workshop -- you demonstrate and they sit and watch, or a demonstration/hands-on workshop -- you demonstrate and they also get the chance to make something.  The answer to that question will greatly determine how you organize and conduct the workshop.  Your website explains your process rather well; so, you know that part.  You'll just need to figure out what to show/demonstrate in the amount of time available.  You know how long it takes to make one of your sculptures. 

Also, ask yourself, If I were taking the workshop, what would I like to see, hear explained, and/or do?  And, are you using clay or paper clay?  If the latter, do you want to show how to make paper clay?  Etc. 

If the studio is local, consider doing the workshop over two weekends . . . allowing time for the items made to dry (if it is a hands-on event) and not rushing things for a second day firing where the results may be less than satisfactory.

Thank you all SO much! Great tips!
This will be a teaching class more than simply a demonstration. Hands on.
The workshops at this studio work better as a 1-weekend deal because people have to travel to attend. Luckily, the pottery makes a nice paper clay of their own, and that works well for my work.
I'm sort of "known" in my circle for single-firing *everything*, and I think that may be part of what participants want to see. If the pieces are small, I think it will be easy to dry them overnight.

You all have given me some great ideas...going to "rehearse" and refine a little and then I'm sure I'll be back with more questions ;-)
Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived