How to figure out what temp to fire

I've been digging up clay and refining it. Should I just make several of the the same items and start firing at a lower temp then work my way up with each one to find the right firing temp?

Hi merry, welcome to the Forum!

Good question, check back for input from raw/wild clay experts, and meanwhile, place your tests on broad/wide "cookies" of known clay to protect your shelves and kiln!
...for a completely unknown clay, a cookie with a "moat" to catch any liquification comes (almost) immediately to mind.

The way I started this was, since I regularly fired clay at two temperatures (cone 04 bisque and cone 6 glaze), was to put samples in the ordinary firings. In a bowl of course! My clay was porous but dense and strong at 04 and definitely melting by cone 6. So I knew it matured between those two cones. I did what you describe, a few firings to dial it in. Cone 03 then cone 02 and I had an answer, 02 was too hot. 

A few firings was all it took to narrow it down to a cone range, but test tiles and pots are different. It took a few more firings to really dial it in and adjust for the way clay gets soft, pyroplastic, when it’s becoming vitreous. Then a few more to find glazes that played nice with the clay. I suggest you make tiles and small objects to start. If you make a flat bar of clay and support it on each end you can see how it might sag at a given temperature and that can be very helpful.

Some clays will bloat and melt before they become vitreous, others will vitrify over a range of several cones. My local clay vitrifies within one cone before bad things start to happen. 

It’s a wonderful journey, a beautiful thing, digging this stuff up and making something worthwhile out of it. More of a long game I would say. I just started processing another hundred fifty pounds, just to be sure I’m good through winter.

Wishing you luck and hope to hear how things unfold. 

Once you figure out the firing temp of your clay, you can modify it with other clays or feldspars to adjust the firing temp if you want it to be usable at a specific temp. You can also use other clays to modify the workability/plasticity of the clay.