Trimming tools

Cutting, heating, bending, and sharpening hack saw blades, I've seen several potters do something similar.

After some time, and many touch-ups with a file, the short leg and the curved part get too narrow.
The last one (from several years ago) got too narrow and flexy, so, time for a new one.

newtrimtool.jpg.ca644c932959fe6d689efb3ab4cd587d.jpg

I'd forgotten that the portion to be bent has to be red hot, and hence, three hands are required, heh; I found the machine vise - that leaves best hand for the torch* and second hand for the pliers.
This time I just ground the teeth dull, hence preserving more width. The cutting portion is ground down a bit more to make an edge, however, there's a little sawtooth left, which I don't mind, for I go over the trimmed part with a metal rib. Where the teeth were is harder metal - a file won't touch it, aha.
That's what prompted me to post.

The end and the backside of the blade file easily. They also dull faster.
The tooth edge stays sharp longer, but resharpening takes more doing.
Making the bend so the more used edge is the toothy one, 50/50 chance?
I'll be keeping my eyes out for cutting blades to repurpose as trimmers. This hacksaw blade was brand new.
:rolleyes:

Once useful trimming life has been ground/filed away -> a new chattering tool, where every tool and presentation variable can yield a different pattern.
Try a narrow edge, eighth to three sixteenth inches wide, sharp.

*One must be careful with heat.

Edited by Hulk
which way to bend, ah, lucky!

I like your thinking :D and have done this for years for an economical tool, trim and chatter. Even started adding some commercial heat shrink for a more comfy grip or for that grab bag give away. Longer more flexible goose neck handle and a a slightly over bent working end can make things easier for the first time student chatter tool.

BTW to re harden, just quench it in oil. Seems it works OK for decent HSS hacksaws.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Years ago, I was the recipient of several band saw blades of varied widths and teeth. I was teaching at the HS, and none of these surplus blades would fit any of the bandsaws at the school wood shop. I cut the blades into straight strips, and made scoring tools and trimming tools with them by heating them in the Jewelry and Metalcraft studio that we had . This allowed me to have several custom blades for many years. They were better to work with than the cheap hack saw blades I used to use.

best,

Pres