(Very basic questions) What are these pieces made of?

Before I start, apologies for very basic questions from a ceramic beginner! I am still learning about clays and glazes, and tried to find answers on my own, but haven't been successful. 

I love the work of these two ceramists and want to understand how these textures are made. 

IMG_0987.jpeg.eabf912c3039a7853e04740267932c5e.jpeg

This one is from Atelier Muses. I read somewhere you can use baking soda to make this rough stoney texture. So can you mix any glaze with baking soda? And does it need to be fired again?

IMG_0991.jpeg.59019c491a924147bf20917727735624.jpeg

This one is from Anna Morgado. I really like the thick color (not water colorish) and matte texture. Is it achievable with special glaze? Or is it stoneware? 

Or if there are any other ways to make pottery less glossy, I'd love to learn more about it. 

Thank you! 

Edited by yoony22

17 hours ago, yoony22 said:

I read somewhere you can use baking soda to make this rough stoney texture. So can you mix any glaze with baking soda? And does it need to be fired again?

So that piece looks like it’s just in the bisque stage, before any glaze has been applied. Or it may be fired to maturity, and they just didn’t put glaze on it at all.  That effect could be made with any light coloured clay that has had some sort of sand or grog added to it for texture. I have never known baking soda to specifically cause that texture, especially if mixed into a glaze. 

17 hours ago, yoony22 said:

Is it achievable with special glaze? Or is it stoneware? 

Possibly both. Matte glazes aren’t uncommon at medium or high fire temperatures, and are reasonably straightforward to formulate at those temperature ranges. I believe there are commercial matte glazes, but I’m less familiar with those. They’re not special in the sense of rare. 

Callies got it covered--groggy clay in the top and matte glaze on the second (another nice finish is "satin"glazes, kind of like a matte with a low sheen).  Anyway, all I want to say is never apologize for being a beginner, or even an expert who doesn't know everything. We all had to start somewhere and truth be told, and using a group that consistently knows what is most likely correct & shares so freely is just being smart.

I agree with both of the above - and welcome aboard!  Glad to have you and never dumb questions.  We were all new to this once and even when you have done ceramics for decades?  There is always still more we can learn!

I'll just add the comment that the bottom piece could also be made of tinted clay.  Black porcelain for example is very popular.  It can be burnished to bring up the sheen faintly.  But a satin glazed black is also very doable with several coats.  I agree the top most pieces look like bisqueware to me without glaze.