Slip casting business ideas

Hi all,

I've recently been offered the contents of a retired professional potters studio. This includes hundreds of slip molds, recipes, and all the nessesary starting equipment. I'm drawing up plans for a slip casting production studio focusing on mugs, planters, and bowls, imagining we can cast products, get creative with decorating, and build our other clay skills as we go. I imagine using fairs and online for retail and also looking for local wholesale opportunities. and possibly offering workshops years down the road. I have lots of willing labor, but I'm unclear about how much we can expect to sell or if this is the best way to put lots of different molds to use.

Ideas? Comments?

I don't do slip work and I have only sold at galleries but I do know that smaller pieces sell.   Mugs, butter and soap dishes and candy dishes are a few you can start with.  Other people on the forum will give you some more ideas.   Pay attention to current color trends for your glaze color palate,  the glaze that is texture looking and multicolored is very popular.  Good luck  Denice

It takes years for a ceramics business to get off the ground and to start to turn a profit, let alone a livable income. Don’t quit your day job! Do this new business on the side until you get a better handle on how to work it. 

Yeah I imagine it will be a slow start. I live out at Twin Oaks community, in Louisa, Va and we were selling hammocks at fairs up until recently when we lost our shop to a wildfire.  This pottery opportunity has come up and we have a few people with experience on the farm either through selling hammocks  at fairs or making pottery in the past. I just gotta say I am so grateful for all the advice and information sharing out there. I'm hoping I can develop things slowly and potentially be earning us some money down the road. Right now i'm just trying to sort out if it's a realistic idea or not.

Another consideration is if the markets/fairs/shows you are looking at applying to when the time comes is whether they will accept slipcast work if you aren't the designer and maker of the molds. I know of many shows where this is one of the rules.

Edited by Min
grammar