Stacking Plates in Electric Kiln

Since I can't find info on this I am guessing it may be a moronic question, if so I apologize. I am familiar with using wadding in gas kilns to stack items but I do not know if wadding can be used in electric kilns - I have seen plate stackers which are very expensive and have read mixed reviews on the outcome after their use. It occured to me that maybe I don't have to buy a plate stacker but can use wadding instead. A plate takes up so much real estate in the kiln so I do not make many - but I would like to. I know how to make the wadding from 50/50 EPK and Alumina.  Another question related to this one is why, since the wadding does not stick to items, then why does it leave marks?

You can for sure use wadding in an electric kiln to raise pots off a shelf or level shelves but I wouldn't use it on a glazed surface.

If you stack plates with wadding between unglazed areas on the plates chances are the plates will warp and deform at mid or highfire.

I don't know the price of setters compared to kiln shelves where you are but another option is to purchase small round kiln shelves and use those with short posts for setters. If you try this be careful to  line up posts to prevent cracking a kiln shelf when you stack them, make sure the posts line up.

4 hours ago, Tiny Island Design said:

why, since the wadding does not stick to items, then why does it leave marks?

When wadding is used in an atmospheric firing such as wood, salt or soda the vapours from the gasses in the kiln flash the pots but the areas where wadding is will resist the flashing.

I have a 28" kiln where shelves are 26" half diameter. I make plates that are about 12-14" for patens in communion sets. I can only get 3 to a layer in a regular stack, but by using a broken shelf under two, I can get 4 of these to a kiln shelf. Does not seem like much, but in a load it means a lot.

best,

Pres