vacuum recycled clay to remove air pockets

I have been recycling my clay and general have about 20 lbs each time I do it.  I heave wedged it until the cows come home but it seams like there is almost always a air bubble that ruins my project. Has anyone tried using a vacuum bowl after wedging to remove the air bubbles.  I know some pug mulls use a vacuum system.

Thanks

I don't think you can just put a block of clay into a container and suck the air out of it. The clay is likely much too dense for that. When clay goes through a pugmill vacuum chamber it's being moved around and cut up via the auger, or in the case of larger industrial 2 stage puggers, it's cut into small bits as it enters the vacuum chamber, then moved out via an auger.

Slam wedging before you hand wedge and sometimes if your hand is twisting the wrong way you wedge bubbles back into it.   I use my recycled clay for handbuilding or mold making,  I don't  hand wedge any more.   I slam wedge clay from a fresh bag,  I go a step further and put the bag of clay in a 5 gal bucket of water a day or two before.   The clay comes out smooth and even consistency  and soft enough for old tired wrist, fingers and hand to throw.  If is is to soft I will pull the plastic down and let it air dry for awhile.   Denice  

All good pug mills use vacuum systems but it works as the clay is being beat up with a screw during that process exposing the air under vacuum. The bowl I do not think will have any effect. Wedging will remove them if done right

Edited by Mark C.