Sourcing Hard Brick

I have recently lost interest in firing my converted gas kiln due to a shift in style towards caustic atmospheres, i.e. wood, salt or soda. My biggest road block is sourcing bricks to build a new kiln. I’ve read up on kiln building and all that, and am quite handy when it comes to putting things together, but I can’t find any bricks! I’ve looked on FB Marketplace and Craigslist within 500 miles with no luck, and new brick costs way too much. I’m from the Akron, OH area and could use some help.

Sourcing used bricks is becoming increasingly difficult since US manufacturing has been in decline for so long. You probably won't find any on FB or Craigslist, as those are listing by individuals. Instead, you want to look at industrial liquidations, commercial auctions, and even government surplus. Also contact manufacturers of refractories and see if they have factory seconds.

I have seen lots of hard brick over the years on many sites from potters web to craigslist and others-search a thread here thats old on ceramic sites for sales ( not facebook marketplace) They make the bricks in the east where you live by the way.

Edited by Mark C.

Since you are not too far away, here are a couple options.  About 10 years ago I convinced Alsey (a hard brick manufacturer in Illinois) to sell me three pallets of "seconds" for a significantly reduced price.  When they arrived they looked perfect to me and have done well in my wood kiln.  These were super duty bricks.  I think they were not really seconds and they were just being nice.  They normally crush up any rejects as grog in future batches.  https://www.alsey.com/

One other option: There was a second-hand refractory store near St. Louis that closed a few years ago.  A local guy that makes an occasional pizza oven bought all the remaining inventory he could move.  I bought a large load of 4x3x9" really nice bricks for only around $1/brick just a few months ago.  He probably still has a large inventory, particularly of large and odd-shaped bricks.  I can try to contact him if you are interested.  Would be a bit of a drive though.

22 hours ago, sommerjono said:

I have recently lost interest in firing my converted gas kiln due to a shift in style towards caustic atmospheres, i.e. wood, salt or soda. My biggest road block is sourcing bricks to build a new kiln. I’ve read up on kiln building and all that, and am quite handy when it comes to putting things together, but I can’t find any bricks! I’ve looked on FB Marketplace and Craigslist within 500 miles with no luck, and new brick costs way too much. I’m from the Akron, OH area and could use some help.

The stories of jack pots of bricks from busted factories are turning into myth but we gotta keep trying. I'll admit to getting a bit jealous of the stuff I've missed out on but I try to mind my own business, for the most part.

The one thing I can try to add is the option to build with castable mixes although cheap alumimna is, again, a thing of the past. From what I can gather one of the most important part of success with castable refractory for salt and soda kilns is the wash. But this will only keep the degradation at bay for so long.

Ruthanne Tudball and Jack Troy published recipes for refractory mixes for salt and soda kilns. iirc they might be the same recipes though. Rhodes also mentioned something about brick degradation and density that would be worthwhile to consiedr if trying to modify or improve on a mix. I convinced myself it was possible to find a way forward without actually having any bricks.

I let the idea go after finding a precious seed hoard of super duty brick a few years ago but castable refractories would have scratched the itch for me. I'm still tempted to finalise a recipe and design but it's tough to just take something on for fun without a certain amount of spare time and disposable income. For now it's just a very interesting, very part time, research project.

Ttwo years ago I rebuilt a 4ft x 4 ft catenary arch kiln that I had saved in a pile of bricks for several decades.  While rebuilding it i found I was short 4 #3 arch bricks.  I bought a bag of refractory cement, rated at 3000 degrees F, made a form using an available brick and cast them.  I have also recently made some bricks using wild clay from my back yard.  

1 hour ago, Dave Earley said:

Ttwo years ago I rebuilt a 4ft x 4 ft catenary arch kiln that I had saved in a pile of bricks for several decades.  While rebuilding it i found I was short 4 #3 arch bricks.  I bought a bag of refractory cement, rated at 3000 degrees F, made a form using an available brick and cast them.  I have also recently made some bricks using wild clay from my back yard.  

I could have mailed those 4 #3 bricks to you from my hoarder fire brick pile.

On 4/23/2024 at 6:03 AM, fergusonjeff said:

Since you are not too far away, here are a couple options.  About 10 years ago I convinced Alsey (a hard brick manufacturer in Illinois) to sell me three pallets of "seconds" for a significantly reduced price.  When they arrived they looked perfect to me and have done well in my wood kiln.  These were super duty bricks.  I think they were not really seconds and they were just being nice.  They normally crush up any rejects as grog in future batches.  https://www.alsey.com/

One other option: There was a second-hand refractory store near St. Louis that closed a few years ago.  A local guy that makes an occasional pizza oven bought all the remaining inventory he could move.  I bought a large load of 4x3x9" really nice bricks for only around $1/brick just a few months ago.  He probably still has a large inventory, particularly of large and odd-shaped bricks.  I can try to contact him if you are interested.  Would be a bit of a drive though.

This is several solutions all in one from Jeff who I had the pleasure of meeting a few weeks ago.

Dealing direct with the manufacture on seconds or even a pile of used ones is really a lead worth exploring . I know of several huge piles of them in my area  from tow sources as most potters are long gone and the hoarders (I only have a small pile) do not know how to get rid of them here now.

Rent a heavy duty truck and go pick them up in MO or have them trucked to you from the factory. I have moved more hard brick in my life than I will ever need. I built several kilns with them ,my salt being the last. 

Edited by Mark C.

Thank you all for the wonderful replies! I wasn’t expecting anyone to even notice my post, let alone to get so much help right away.  Mark and Jeff, your suggestions will be explored thoroughly. I’m only 23, married 7 months ago, trying to make a living in a field that hasn’t gotten much traction in my area, but if that says anything, i’m happy with a good challenge, I just needed a place to start — thanks for all the support!

I'm also on the lookout for hard firebrick in the east. I havent been here yet but Louisville Firebrick has a plant near Grahn Ky.  That seems to be about 4.5 hours away from you.   I recently tore down a soft brick car kiln. It was a great deal except for the labor (I will be owing work for several friends for a while, lol).  That being said the rental of a uhaul with low ramp was one of the best investments I made!  (and I told my husband aren't you happy these were soft bricks,!) Great info in this forum. As soon as I read and reread the kiln books I've managed to find, I will have some questions for the experts. Sandi in WV

Edited by SFKeller