Managanese Wash

Quick question---for single fire, cone 5-6, standard white clay body---if I used Manganese Wash "as is" all over on this piece, would it accentuate the texture/outlines, like for the pig, or should it be applied over-- or under--a clear or ivory glaze OR would I be better off not using it and doing something else???? I haven't used the managese before but am willing to take a calculated risk.  Thanks-the piece has to go into my next kiln load regardless. 

20240320_210616---.jpg

Lovely!

Scared for you because your piece looks totally dry. Any wash may induce crackinģ imo.

If could be dampened gently, then a wash application and careful  wipe off raised areas would be the way I'd go. 

3parts mang dioxide to 1 part black copper oxide could give a bronze effect at that cone, just saying.

Because no glaze , the iron or mn. Will not " dilute" in colour

Not a food container or server

14 hours ago, LeeU said:

if I used Manganese Wash

Is this the commercial Amaco  Wash you are using? If it is I would try brushing it on the wiping it back with a damp sponge to remain in the recesses then apply a glaze over top. I think leaving it without wiping it back would be too intense. Whatever glaze you use will dilute the intensity of the Amaco Wash.

2 hours ago, LeeU said:

Thanks Min & Babs--I'll lightly dampen, use the wash,  wipe it back (yes/Amaco) & do a thin clear over it.  It's a catchall tray for a friend's BD.

Dampen every surface, lessen risk of cracking.

Read of sone one who dunks pot in bucket of water then puts in damp box with wet sponge in tgere too for a couple of days.... not tried by me but tempted when my wheel work gets a bit dry to turn, usually I turn to chattering

• 1 month later...