how would i sell my pottery collection when i move

my house is too big and i want to move to a place where i can build just what i want and not someone else's house.

i have a large collection of pots made by Coleman, Glick, Makins, Meyer,Bringle, and others. i do not want to sell all of them but where would i start to search out a sale venue for such things? i know about Ebay. would that be the best way?

My husband and I do a lot of buying and selling on E-bay, but fine art is not something I would buy on e-bay. There are fine art auctions on the internet maybe someone on the forum had used one. Wichita has a buisness that specializes in selling fine arts to corporate companies, collectors and auctions online perhaps you have one in your area. Denice

Guest JBaymore

oldlady,

I recently arranged the acquisition of a 700+ piece collection of historical works from the estate of a collector for my college, New Hampshire Institute of Art. Works cover a huge range of makers from Adrian Saks to Otto Heino, Don Reitz to Tom Coleman, Chris Gustin to Karen Karnes, and so on. The collector's sister very generously wanted it to go to a place where the use of it in a teaching collection would pass on her brother's love of ceramics to new generations. It is now housed in new cases in the ceramics building as the "Richard D. Murphy Ceramics Collection", and students are benefiting from this wonderful resource.

So if you are not looking at this collection of yours as a potential source of revenue (and need to sell it), and something like a tax deduction instead would be useful.... maybe seek out an institution that you favor and see if they would like to have the pieces. A big "pass it forward". One of my recent "Letters From The President" columns in the Potters Council "Potters Pages" publication focused on just this whole, "What is going to happen to your collection when you are gone" kind of thing.

best,

.........................john

Archived