Setting Kiln Posts On Sides

Yep!  Position them ANY way you like.  I often use them on their sides to stilt pieces up off the bottom of my kiln if my equine sculptures are on bases.  Without airflow, the larger bases in direct contact with the kiln floor can retain a LOT of heat where as the slim legs above may cool too fast and cause the pieces to break.  You may also stack your kiln posts to 'build' walls.  I also have an assortment of other kiln furniture that was given to me but here's a really sweet tip.

You can buy materials to MAKE YOU OWN custom kiln furniture and stilts.   I've done this in some cases where I really need special shapes and then added various thickness of Kanthal wire to run up into pour holes or whatever for especially delicate pieces that would other wise fall over during firing.  Or you can skip the specialty materials if you need one use supports custom fitted to ware by making 'setters' instead that can shrink with your pieces, such as used with porcelain bodies.

Anyway, I digress.  No harm at all in utilizing your kiln furniture turned this way and that, or stacked.  I've even used bits of broken shelves that were given to me for nothing and busted them up to the shapes and sizes I needed.  You can even get or make  'kiln beads' that you can box to form customized supports and nestle ware down into.

Edited by Hyn Patty

1 minute ago, mrcasey said:

I appreciate your reply and agree with you, but do the manufacturers state anywhere that this is ok?

You do know this all predates 'manufacturers', right?  People have been using kilns and kiln furniture for thousands of years and reusing the same basic materials to do so.  But if in doubt just call your kiln manufacturer.  You don't have to take our word for it.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:52 PM, mrcasey said:

No offense intended - I agree with you.  Some folks in our community studio thought it was an issue (which I thought sounded off base), and I just wanted to make sure.   

No worries at all.  If ever in doubt it's always a good idea to double check things and not just take some individual's word on something.  So no harm in calling your kiln manufacturer.  But there are only a few kinds of materials used in kiln furniture and you can tip any of it on it's side without harm.  Firing ceramics, despite our fancy electronic controllers and such, really is an ancient art form and hasn't changed that much even with more modern materials and techniques.  So kiln furniture is pretty basic.  Also, your kiln manufacturer almost certainly didn't make any kiln furniture you got with your kiln any more than they make the fire brick they build them with.  That stuff usually comes from just a few manufacturers who in turn supply all the kiln production companies.   Kind of like china paints - they all come from China but there are only two companies in the USA who import and redistribute it no matter who you actually buy it from.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:18 AM, mrcasey said:

I appreciate your reply and agree with you, but do the manufacturers state anywhere that this is ok?

It seemed like a given that they can and many of us do this but I reached out to the Ceramic Shop to ask them specifically. They make, sell and wholesale posts to other ceramic suppliers in the US and elsewhere. (they make triangular and square ones)

Their reply: 

"Thanks for reaching out!  

To my knowledge, yes, they can be used on their sides. Kiln posts are made to be the most stable on their top ad bottom though and they will take up extra room in the kiln on their side. If you need a smaller kiln post for some works you can check these out:  https://www.theceramicshop.com/product/148/kiln-post-1/ 

All of our kiln posts are rated to cone 10. 

Best, 
Syd"